Need help choosing X or H pipe

-
Ive heard 3" Dynomax Bullets with an X pipe and it sounded insane. The smaller glasspacks just sound like poop to me, LOL

Dynomax UltraFlows should sound similar to the bullets. They are both straight through.

I went with 2 1/4 inch pipe and i got some glasspacks that werent necked down inside, the glasspacks i got have a 3 inch core diameter and they welded the inlet and outlets on that i needed, so i dont think a 3 inch core diameter glasspack will be restrictive... Sounds good, oh and i went with an H pipe because it was 50 bucks cheaper and the exhaust guy said there wasnt much room to do an X pipe... but i'm happy with it, the guy routed my drivers side pipe around my gas tank and flush with my transfer case skid plate so that my transfer case and transmission can be removed without having to cut the exhaust, wich i thought was pretty cool.
My transmission has been in and out a few times and there were nasty welds all over the place on the previous exhaust from cutting the exhaust and putting it back on lol, so that wont need to happen and the exhaust pipe should be safe from rocks and whatever else because they would hit my t-case skid plate before hitting the exhaust pipe.

My 2.5" TTI X-pipe, with flowmaster super 44's. I use TTI headers as well...Sounds mean.

IMG_3320.jpg

IMG_3321.jpg

Got any good pics?

Congrats on running glass packs.

Sounds better than a chambered or turbo muffler in my opinion.

Bring back the glass pack sound yea!

As long as they dont neck down and you got that totally covered.

What length glass pack did you put on? How big was the outside diameter approximately?

I went with 2 1/4 inch pipe and i got some glasspacks that werent necked down inside, the glasspacks i got have a 3 inch core diameter and they welded the inlet and outlets on that i needed, so i dont think a 3 inch core diameter glasspack will be restrictive... Sounds good, oh and i went with an H pipe because it was 50 bucks cheaper and the exhaust guy said there wasnt much room to do an X pipe... but i'm happy with it, the guy routed my drivers side pipe around my gas tank and flush with my transfer case skid plate so that my transfer case and transmission can be removed without having to cut the exhaust, wich i thought was pretty cool.
My transmission has been in and out a few times and there were nasty welds all over the place on the previous exhaust from cutting the exhaust and putting it back on lol, so that wont need to happen and the exhaust pipe should be safe from rocks and whatever else because they would hit my t-case skid plate before hitting the exhaust pipe.

the length of the glass packs is 18 inches and the diameter inside is 3 inch so the outside i'd guess is 4.5 or 5 inch?

I like the glass pack sound lot better then flomasters and other chambered mufflers as well, i will get some pictures taken and put them up here so you guys see, the glass packs i got had no inlet or outlets on them and the inside diameter of them is 3 inches and he welded the outlet and inlets that were needed, on my exhaust 2.25 is as small as it gets, there is no restrictions anywhere all the 2.25 pipe runs into ether 2.5 or 3 inch, and even tho i wanted to get an x pipe, i gotta admit this guy did a really good job on the H pipe he made and my H pipe is 2.5 pipe. It does sound a hell of alot better then compared to that dinky 2 inch exhaust.
Plus the guy that did my new exhaust told me the old exhaust had restrictions everywhere, he said whoever did it made the bends to tight and the glass packs i had previously were necked down. but you can tell a huge difference in sound!!! and i have noticed a change in power, to me it feels like the torque curve moved up about 500 rpm maybe 700 rpm, and it has alot more pull when already driving, for example on the highway already cruising at 65 it has more pull when i gas it to speed up.

But why buy twice. If you don't have the mufflers you want, cancel your appointment.

I wouldn't run glass-packs on my lawnmower.

Get an X over an H if money allows (but like others have said, don't expect some miraculous difference).

As far as mufflers go, many of the performance mufflers are very close to each-other as far as flow.

My 2 personal choices are Dynomax Super turbos (nice, muscle car sound).

Or

Dynomax UltraFlows. More aggressive Muscle car sound with some bite when you stand on it.

These are the only two mufflers I run.

I agree on the Dynomax Super Turbos. I love the sound of the 'Cuda
with them.

im glad it worked out for you.im not sure why everyone bashes glass packs so much when an ultraflow,race bullet,or magnaflow are a straight thru design with glass packing.hence a GLASS PACK.some pics would be nice ,and a sound clip if possible.i know exhaust note is subecjtive,but im willing to bet it sounds good.

lol...when i hear the term glass pack....this is what i envision....LOL

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9yE7oKDKUA"]Glass Packs On The Glass House - YouTube[/ame]

lol...when i hear the term glass pack....this is what i envision....LOL

Glass Packs On The Glass House - YouTube
wow,that is horrible.perhaps appropriate for what they are on.that is proof they can sound REALLY bad IMO in some applications.but in the defense of the mufflers themselves.....id like to hear those same mufflers from the video on a 10:1 340,with a whiplash cam and an x pipe.

I dont know why glasspacks get bashed so hard ether? I have herard some say the sound sucks, well i disagree with that, and some people say they dont flow very well, maybe true in some cases, but i doubht thats the case with my set up. I seen inside the glass packs that got put on mine and they were huge inside, 3 inch inside diameter with no inlet or outlets on them, my exhaust runs into bigger inlets and utlets not smaller, so i dont think there is much restriction at all. And the glass packs i got are made by flo-pro they are 18 inch long 3 inch inside diameter and they had no inlets or outlets, they welded in there own to fit my exhaust. So is there anyway these glass packs could be restrictive? i dont think so... because like i aid i saw them before they welded on the inlet and outlets and they were HUGE inside. and there is no major bends in my exhaust. i will get some pictures on here as soon as i can, been working 10 hour days so bare with me, i promise i'll get some on here soon.

worked a 12 hour day today, by the time i get home from work its already dark out so i cant take pictures, i'm going to try to get some tommarrow morning.

I always thought H pipes were installed by muffler guys who were too lazy to make a a nice X pipe?!?

Flowmasters have a throbbing drone that drives me crazy. When I swap engines and get new headers, they will be gone...

If the glass packs are louvered into the exhaust flow put them on backwards they will eat less hp but make more noise, just get longer one to help combat the noise or put two on each side.

Larry Sheppard (Mopar Performance) says an H pipe produces no HP but reduces noise which allowed the factory to install less restrictive mufflers on some 60'sperformance models.
and when you think about it,how can a 6" piece of pipe add any power?

i have always read that H pipes help with scavenging exhaust gases out of the engine wich in turn helps produce low end torque? the way i have always heard it was H pipe for better low rpm torque and X pipe for more high rpm horse power and torque? I wanted to get an X pipe but the guy told me it'd cost an extra 60 bucks or something and he also said it would be pretty hard to put one in my system because there just isnt much room for one. So i figured an H pipe was better then no cross over at all.

-
Back