Need Help Finding SRT 10 Engine Dimensions

-
swiss ... Thanks. No I haven't bought my motor yet, not quite ready to pull the trigger on it yet.

I already have pricing from Xvipers and X2 on motor / trans combos. Pick-apart told me to bring a written price from the others and they would see about working with me on price since I would be there. The big plus is shipping, since I can be in Cleveland in 2 hrs from my house I can pick up.

But I will definitely get in touch with Paul @ Don Scharf before I pull the trigger on anything.

Cool deal. Yeah get with Paul. He gave me a great quote and I'll be reconnecting with him the end of the month...

His shipping rates aren't bad either. My two pallets+ came in MUCH cheaper than I expected, though I didn't get a quote for an engine when we spoke yesterday.

Don has a lousy website. If you want to search a part you need a very specific year... that's a pan. I will have to do more research before I bother calling him since I am working in year ranges at the moment.

Also freight from WI to PA is going to be a ball buster for sure.

But def will get a price comparison from him.

Don't even waste your time on their website. Best just to call. I talked through Gen 1, 2, & 3 motors with him. Best way to get him is phone. He specializes in Vipers.

Here's another option to give yourself more time to save (and allow prices to come down when the Gen 5 comes out)... I almost jumped on one but decided I would just go for the engine and shuffle my other purchases around to make it work. This is great because you can bolt everything you need right up to it, intake, oil pan, motor mounts, trans, accessories, etc. And it only weighs 30 pounds.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...witem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_1745wt_850

swiss -- those are made by PYR and I almost jumped on one too. After talking to Bill At RMS I decided not to. Instead I decided to wait till I get my Alterkation front end bought and then I will just jump on the motor. I still need to get up to Cleveland to pick a part to do some measuring etc. since they are so close. Once I can get a better handle on the cutting and slicing I will have to do I can then decide which GEN V10 to jump on. Right now though Im leaning to the 600HP big boy! Dream Big or go home!

did you ever get all the measurements ?

Not really.... I've done over a year of research on this project and I am still forging ahead with the plan. The issue that also comes up is that these motors vary in dimensions between the V10 Ram and Viper motors. Everyone I have talked to have all advised on buying the motor and trans I want and then doing what it takes to make that exact combo work.

Well that makes sense other than dropping $8K - $12K for the motor and trans combo this early in the project. So I have decided to prep the whole car prior to buying the motor & tranny.

So to date I have had MoparAl (FABO name) doing all of the fabrication work on the car:
Mini Tub
Triangulated 4 link with coil overs
Custom Frame connectors
New full floors (both sides)
New full trunk & both extensions
New Trunk lock area
Numerous patches
Custom front rad support cross member

Once All finishes my getting my other demon running and driving from being stored for many many many years. He will be back on this project with more body fab work. Once all the body fab work is complete then I will get the motor and trans bought to finish that work.... till then its just a process.

Has the front rad support/cross member been finished yet? I'd be curious to see it. I'm throwing around a couple ideas for mine.

Swiss -- Yes it is done and installed. very similar to many that are out, just a ton cheaper. MoparAl fabricated this one and installed it...

Attachments

• Front member#3.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 318
  • Front member#4.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 297
  • Front member#5.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 299
  • Front member#6.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 299
  • Front member#7.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 324
Thanks. I'm planning to use round tube for the cross-member and will be building squared brackets to mount the radiator angled forward to maximize airflow from the front spoiler/splitter and gain some extra room for the air intake hoping I can pull directly from the hood scoop. Are you planning to mount the radiator in front of the sheet metal on the core?

That is yet to be determined. Right now I am leaning on mounting the radiator in front of the core support in between the core support and the grille. But is still way too early to make that call.

Since the V10 engine pulls air from the single front inlet I would prefer to fab something that pulls from either side of the radiator or better yet something that bolts to the hood and when closed pumps air directly to the front of the motor.

I have a lot of things still on napkin sketches since it is still at least 1-2 years away from that point. But the binders of info, pictures, sketches, etc are filling up as the details get worked out.

Like you car (banging away for only a couple weeks a year) its a long process of design, fab, parts gathering, and cash saving!

Demon, are you talking about the place in columbia station that has the v10? A friend of mine sent me a pic of it, suggested I put it in my 68 fastback.

Demon, are you talking about the place in columbia station that has the v10? A friend of mine sent me a pic of it, suggested I put it in my 68 fastback.

I have been looking at several places... Columbia station is just one of them.

I am looking for the gen111 V10 motor with the automatic trans.... So basically I will end up with one out a of a RAM..... Yeah I get a ton of people saying I would should get the GEN111 with the 6 speed, but I HATE shifting gears, so it will be an OD tranny for me... Either a stock one from the RAM or I found a company who will build me one to my specs..... either way its still a long way off before I have a motor and trans in place.

No matter how you shake it or which motor you use... there are a ton of issues with making this work... Its not a quick $8K and you have a V10 in there. Even with an Alterkation (Bill has been a ton of help on the planning end) front end I will still have to make a ton of custom parts, change the oil pan to a rear sump truck style, then cut it down for ride height, then custom steering parts, cut and turn the stock exhaust manifolds, etc etc etc...And that is all after I figure out how to show horn it in there.

With all this in mind, that's why I am finishing the rest of the cars fab work first. This way if at the end of doing the rest of the protouring mods I am making I run out of steam I can always toss in a stroked out 340 with GM OD tranny and have everything I wanted except the wow factor when you open the hood to see a V10...

If you want something with dual air intakes, you should consider a Gen 2 motor. The only downside is they have 50hp less than the Gen 3. Plus side is a forged bottom end and not quite as tall. Also a bit cheaper than the Gen 3 and plenty of go fast parts for them if that's what you want. FI is a better option on the Gen 2 due to the forged internals. Something to think about and save a few $$$ at the same time.

Swiss -- I seriously considered the Gen2 for months, but I honestly just don't like the look of the intake. having dual intakes isn't that big of a deal to me. I have several ideas already brewing for the single intake of the Gen3 or Gen4 motor.

Although the $$ savings on the Gen 2 is really nice, its not the driving factor on this car. Since this project is one of those once in a lifetime builds for me I am doing my best to not let cash dictate compromises on the overall look I want. I'm loaded by any means, hence why this may be a 5-8 or 8-10 year build. So if & when it ultimately ends up with a V10 then it will be either a Gen3 or Gen4.....Gen 4 is just a huge bump in price for 100HP more, but by then they may be cheaper too!!! Till then back to dreaming of the day, while I deal with what I can now.

Project is moving along... It a major lull for a bit (VERY EXPENSIVE route), but I sourced and purchased a 2006 SRT Viper engine out of a Dodge ram this past October. Wiring harness and computer will be going out to Hot Wire to be reworked and tweeted for my application.

The triangulated rear end is finished with Wilwoods and just needs brake lines and is ready to bolt in. The altercation set up is assembled and ready to bolt in as well....

Plan is to start the engine install in January/February 2016....

I believe that when planning to put a Viper V-10 in an A-Body, you should probably plan on Firewall surgery. I don't see any way around it.

-
Back