need help IDing speedometer piece and advice

-

MrDuster

Reaction score
Hi folks. I took this piece out of my 71 340 Duster this morning. What does the silver cylinder with a single electrical bullet connector do? You can see where in the past the exhaust burned the speedo cable and the guys plastic-tied/siliconed it…last time I drove it I notice the needle was fluctuating with noise--as I'm putting the rebuilt tranny in soon I decided to replace the cable. When I took the plastic piece off the speedometer I broke it due to my gorilla touch….the bottom line ran under brake lines with close tolerance to the body….as the cable was going to be replaced anyway I cut it to make it come out easier. Should/can I buy an upper and lower cable and go back through the silver canister or just buy a new cable….any suggestion on where to buy the cable? Open to any/all suggestions as I have zero experience with this. Thanks!! Mark

Attachments

• IMG_0514 copy.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 211
That's the speed sensor that worked in conjunction with the emissions "N95" package on some 71' cars.

Below is a quote from daredevil's post in here......http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/archive/index.php/t-131739.html

"In 1971 the ECS & CAS systems were used in the other 49 states, while California cars went to the NOX system in addition to ECS & CAS. The NOX system includes special components for the transmission, a special camshaft with more valve overlap, and a 185 degree thermostat. There were 2 different setups available depending on manual or auto trans.

Manual trans = a switch on the trans sensed what gear the car was in. any gear below high gear made a solenoid cut off the vacuum from the carb to the distributor vacuum advance unless the temperature sensor indicated the underhood temp was less than 70 degrees.

Auto trans = similar to above, but used a speed sensing switch inline with the speedometer cable."

Thanks for the info…think I'll put it in a box labelled "old factory original junk" and replace the cable. Anyone have one or advice on where to buy? THANKS!! Mark

Thanks--I saw one on ebay, but it was going to be $60 or so w/ride. Came up with empty at Rockauto earlier, but will search again.

NAPA has a one piece for a '70 Duster in stock. Part number is BK6151660 and it costs a whopping 19 bucks....

That's the speed sensor that worked in conjunction with the emissions "N95" package on some 71' cars.

Below is a quote from daredevil's post in here......http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/archive/index.php/t-131739.html

"In 1971 the ECS & CAS systems were used in the other 49 states, while California cars went to the NOX system in addition to ECS & CAS. The NOX system includes special components for the transmission, a special camshaft with more valve overlap, and a 185 degree thermostat. There were 2 different setups available depending on manual or auto trans.

Manual trans = a switch on the trans sensed what gear the car was in. any gear below high gear made a solenoid cut off the vacuum from the carb to the distributor vacuum advance unless the temperature sensor indicated the underhood temp was less than 70 degrees.

Auto trans = similar to above, but used a speed sensing switch inline with the speedometer cable."

DARN I'm glad you found this. Someone else was asking this the other day.

-
Back