need help ID'ing tci transmission

-

7dart0

Reaction score
I bought a very low mileage used transmission off a guy who said it was a reverse manual valve body TCI unit A904. Is there anyway to tell if it is indeed a manual valvebody without driving it first, The pan is off right now because im replacing the filter and gasket and adding a magnet to the pan.

tom

Most aftermarket manual valve bodies have the stem that sticks out for the throttle pressure linkage cut off. This stem I'm talking about is located right above the shift linkage on the trans. There also should not be any throttle pressure linkage on it as manual valve bodies do not require it

Mine has that shaft but the throw on it is much shorter than the stock one. It turns like maybe 20 degrees.

Simple question here. What is TCI doing to get their reputation? After all, a torqueflite is a simple and durable transmission. With a few special tools and a book someone can rebuild one to last in their garage. Even Aamco can do it. How can TCI be so bad? Or are most people that condemn TCI simply repeating what they've heard.

Simple question here. What is TCI doing to get their reputation? After all, a torqueflite is a simple and durable transmission. With a few special tools and a book someone can rebuild one to last in their garage. Even Aamco can do it. How can TCI be so bad? Or are most people that condemn TCI simply repeating what they've heard.

Karl, the TCI we all knew & love, got bought out by big corporations. I ran TCI older products, loved tem. The quality isn't there anymore.

Take a pic of the valve body. TCI RMVB separator plate is usually red with a stamped number 121700. The kickdown valve directly next to the manual valve would be disabled, meaning the throttle pressure cam surface would not push in the kickdown valve.

http://www.tciauto.com/tc/727-904-trans-scatr-kit-non-lock-up-62-79html/

Open attachment 220000 and scroll to page 9, FIG 24, STEP 27. There would be a large clearance where the 1/8" drill bit is shown and the valve stem protruding from the valve casting would not have any spring action.

On page 7, FIG 17, throttle pressure spring and kickdown valve positions are swapped to provide MAX line pressure at all times, and no kickdown linkage is required.

See this link for a pic of TCI 121700 -

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tci-121700

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. John

thanks john. it wouldn't let me download the link. I'll snap a pic tomorrow and post it up.

Tom

Here's some pics of the valvebody.

Attachments

• 20150411_190505.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 249
  • 20150411_190513.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 253
  • 20150411_190520.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 238
The valvebody pics don't show a RED separator plate that is related to the reverse manual VB 121700. However, you may have the 122400 model, manual/auto which has cad plated screws, side plates and a stock appearing separator plate -

http://www.jegs.com/i/TCI/890/12240...7&cadevice=c&gclid=CIztx6u_8cQCFVUbgQod9joA-g

I cant see a close up view of the kickdown valve next to the manual valve to see if the plunger protrudes out to touch the kickdown linkage cammed surface. If you rotate the tip that sticks up outside the case where the kickdown linkage arm attaches, does it have spring action when the cam pushes against the kickdown valve? Or does the valve stick out any? My conclusion is that you have the 122400 TCI street fighter manual/auto model.

so does that mean i need to invest in some sort of kickdown linkage?

............if its manual/auto it will be foreward pattern and yes it will nee linkage/cable to function/live..............kim......

should be able to find a TCI part number engraved on the valve body...wont be on casting but on metal...

I zoomed in on the first picture you posted and it appears there is a kickdown valve sticking out to touch the cammed surface of the kickdown shaft. So, you would need a factory kickdown linkage or a Lokar cable set-up. I also noticed that it looks like a transbrake wire connector in the same picture from the back of the case. Evidently at one time someone used or was going to install a transbrake.

I thought it was just a temp sender screwed into the case. I'm not positive though

-
Back