Need help with 340 Prestolite dual point orientation

-

jawbone

Cuda_queer
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
For all you guys out there with dual point Prestolite distributors or anyone with the know how. Want to orientate my dist correctly the first time. Question: Does vacuum advance connection on advance can go forward or aft of coil mounting bracket. I have some miner interference with mine. If I am forward of bracket don't have much movement. Once I get the initial orientation, can wire the cap. Currently rotor is at 12 o'clock. I could ask is no. 1 to right or left of dist cap clip?

20230620_104406[1].jpg

20230620_104432[1].jpg

If your photo is with the engine at TDC for #1, I believe your distributor/oil pump drive is off a tooth. The rotor should point to #1 cylinder. Yours looks to be pointing more straight ahead. Once the drive gear is clocked correctly, the vacuum advance should be in a better position....which would be where the hose nipple is pointed a bit more toward the firewall.

If your photo is with the engine at TDC for #1, I believe your distributor/oil pump drive is off a tooth. The rotor should point to #1 cylinder. Yours looks to be pointing more straight ahead. Once the drive gear is clocked correctly, the vacuum advance should be in a better position....which would be where the hose nipple is pointed a bit more toward the firewall.
The intermediate shaft notch is pointing to no.1 at TDC. The corresponding notch on the dist. is offset from rotor meaning rotor 12 o'clock is not exactly 12 o'clock on dist notch.

The correct position is about where you have it. When in time the nipple should be approximately 90 degrees off the cam
Thanks. If I understand you correctly, does that put the advance can rear or coil bracket.

Your vacuum advance is in the correct position in the picture. Install cap and find #1. Is timing mark at TDC on compression? If something is off, you may need to reorient your intermediate shaft.

Your vacuum advance is in the correct position in the picture. Install cap and find #1. Is timing mark at TDC on compression? If something is off, you may need to reorient your intermediate shaft.
Thanks for your reply. That's what I need.

-
Back