Need help with 8388 ready to run distributor

-

downsr

Reaction score
I have a mech advance distributor with a 6 al box installed in the car now.I am going to install the 8388 ready to run distributor.Can i run the 8388 with the 6al box and what would you do about the rev limiter.Also how would you wire it.Thanks

You can run the 8388 with the box or without. Instructions are pretty straight forward and can download from the msd website.

Just installed about 400 dollars worth of 8388 ready to run dist.The problem is it puts to much timing in it.20 degrees at 15" of vac.So if your at 36 degrees at cruise it will be 56 degrees with vac.I was told by jegs it would only add 10 at 15" of vac.I wanted to run it on constant vac and add around 10 at most and these canisters are not adjustable.Anyone have this problem and what did you do other than unhook it

Where do you have the vacuum hooked to? Ported vacuum as per instructions? On a holley it's on the right side of the metering block above the throttle plates

Could try ported vacuum instead of manifold vacuumand see if it puts vacuum timing where he wants

It is connected to constant vac because i wanted to add a little timing at idle and at cruise but it adds way to much.I do'nt know why they would not make it adjustable like a mallory.It seems if you have a engine that has a lot of vac you will add to much

I have to much timing when i add the vac timing why would i want to increase the initial timing.I think i am going to take it out and put a dist that has an adjustable vac

Keep that 8388, it's a good distributor. You just need to fine tune it to work for your combo. What do you have for a motor combo? I'm running an 8388 on a 68 318 with stock cam, holley 670 and headers. Initial is 15 degrees, 21 degree bushing, 2 light silver springs on 91 octane. Vacuum is routed to the ported vacuum on the side of the metering block. No detonation, not too much vacuum. Good power and decent economy

416 stroker engine running 24 initial with 10 degree bushing.Just wanted to add 10 degrees timing at idle and cruise.If you run 34 degrees total the vac adds 20 degrees making total 54 degrees.I think i am going to make a plate to bolt in dist to keep it from advancing the vac arm all the way.They should put an adjustable one on it like mallory

I have to much timing when i add the vac timing why would i want to increase the initial timing.I think i am going to take it out and put a dist that has an adjustable vac

So? Do what it's DESIGNED to do. Run the thing on ported vacuum. If you are going to run vacuum, you must MAKE a mechanical advance limiter which MSD DOES NOT SUPPLY. Someone on here (forget who) sells nonMSD limiters for mechanical.

"If it were me" the decision would be easy........ditch manifold and run ported

I have not measured the ported vacuum i would think it would be the same as the manifold vac at cruise.If it is then if you you add the total and the 20 with adv you would be to high 54-56 total.I will try andsearch for the person who sells the mech advance limiter

Hook it up to ported and try it out and drive it. Only takes a few minutes and can be easily swapped back to full manifold if you wish. But the msd instructions do say hook to ported vacuum.

-
Back