Need help with a Gen III steering column.

-

garyfish340

Reaction score
I've been on this forum for a long time. I've try'd to answer questions to help guys building Gen III projects on a budget. But now I need help.
After 50 K miles of everyday driving I've proven that the 3G can be done on the cheap, and be reliable. Unfortunately my Barracuda got T boned, and the frame tore in 2. So now it's time to transplant everything into a 1975 Duster. Which is a good thing. I always thought that once I worked out all the bugs, I wanted to clean things up, or get a car with a nicer body, and implement everything I've learned since 2007.
One thing that has always drove me crazy with the 3G A Body thing, has been the offset steering column. The column has to move to the left of the car, and a piece by the firewall bushing needs to be nipped. One question I have is what is inside that column tube, above the bushing ? Is there a way to cut a inch from the column, re-install the bushing, spring, and clip ? ( on the 75 duster column. ) I always thought my 69 barracuda column looked messy, this time I want it to look well engineered. I still want to keep it a budget project, but I want to do it cleanly.View attachment 8B3157D9-C77E-43BE-97E1-10B26C8ED85E_1.jpg

Welcome aboard. I am also doing a GEN III hemi swap. By your post count I assume you have already found the new hemi section.

Aj

I read some of the posts about gen III hemi swapping, but they really don't relate to what I've done, or what I plan to do unfortunately. Most of the answers that people post to gen III dilemmas, are followed by " open your check book, and throw a wad of doe at it." Some of what is written between the lines is good old fashion hot rodding though. I would like to find the answer to my issue without breaking into an unrelated thread, or being told that I need to fork out for a borgeson box, flaming river column, and a special connector to mate them, plus a new pitman, and idler, and god knows what else. My question, or my answer will be: What is above the column firewall bushing on the inside of the column ? Is the purpose of the bushing, to be a dust boot, and to keep fumes out of the cabin ? or is it in place of a lower bearing. Could I cut the bottom case off the bottom firewall section of the column, and slide a bearing over it, than bolt it to the plate ? Or is there a very simple solution that I don't know about ? Thank you for your reply.

-
Back