Need help with aftermarket tach 273

-

Takoctopus

Reaction score
So Im looking at getting a tach for a stock 2barrel 273. What do these rev too? I would like to buy a tach in range but not to high. Is 6000 too low? Or should i go a bit higher such as 8000? I dont plan on hot rodding it just stock for now.
Thanks

Well, depends on what year 273 as they came with solid cams and later with hydraulic.Being a 2 bbl I would say peak would 4200 maybe 4500 and the valve springs would be done assuming it still has original springs.

6000 should be fine. You don't need to (shouldn't) rev your 273 much over 5 anyway unless you have built it for high performance. You could get a 8000 rpm one just to be safe. Your call

i always liked the lower range tach, because they are more acccurate
think about it, lets say there is a 280 degree sweep on the tach
on a 10000 RPM tach, that means 10 degrees cover 357 RPM
on a 6000 RPM tach, those same 10 degrees cover 214 RPM

The stock SW 6000 tach was a joke on the 65 "S" (and a very expensive joke to replace) you could bounce the needle just rapping it in the driveway, very slow recovery time. They have come a long way since then and a 6K would be a great choice. The solid lifter 273's can rap to the moon but the torque dies off quickly, stay within its powerband as stated. 360 springs fit too....just check the rocker arm to retainer. This one would be a little overkill, ie. engine kill....
motorbike-tachometer-illustration-isolated-white-background-37966184.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back