Need help with lower windshield trim install

-

zhandfull

Reaction score
The lower stainless trim on my windshield for a 72 Dart, having trouble getting it on. It was off when I brought the car home. I'm assuming new gasket was installed. My question is on the lower edge only of the rubber gasket it has a rubber lip. Seems like maybe in needs to be trimmed off. I can't seem to get the stainless trim over or even under this rubber lip and get it to clip in. Anybody else dealt with doing this and had any problems?

Attachments

• 1972 Dart 055.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 212
I am not positive but I will give you some advise BE CAREFUL INSTALLING TRIM I BUMPED MINE WITH THE BALL OF MY HAND AND SHATTERED THE WINDSHIELD BE GENTLE IT IS COSTLY MY FRIEND

Don't cut it...The edge of that lip tucks into the part above it. Make sure no dirt in groove and use something with a blunt point to guide it in. Plastic trim tools will work

Don't cut it...The edge of that lip tucks into the part above it. Make sure no dirt in groove and use something with a blunt point to guide it in. Plastic trim tools will work

Yeah I found that in another post about it tucking in. In that same post it said that lip tucked in where the lock strip stopped along the bottom. I'm not even seeing a lock strip like was shown in that post. Another member said he just cut it off. I'm all for doing it right. Just wondering if it's a common seal for multiple applications and some require cutting?

No luck so far, I'm going to give it another boy scout try before getting out the razor knife.:D I have also been pounding on the windshield trim with my hand, guess I better be careful.:D

Thanks for the help.

It does have a separate lockstrip, but it is just a round black rubber cord. When installed you just see the top of it as in your pic.

My new seal stood up exactly as you picture it. Use a trim tool or dull screwdriver to push down the flap and guide it under the edge. I know it looks like it won't go or stay...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 908
I know this is an old thread but I’m hoping zkx14 will chime in, as I’m having the same issue. Are you saying the locking strip should not go all the way around the windshield, but instead stop on either side of the flap and tuck the flap in where the lock strip would go? Thanks
1971 Duster
B18DC5AA-B99E-4BBC-806F-23DEB020C6D0.jpeg
1EE81513-E765-4570-89B3-20F6D9424656.jpeg

I tend to agree, but I don’t think I can get that flap wedged in there also. One pic I saw but can’t find now, showed the locking strip cut at either end of the flap. Some guys say they were just cutting the flap off. Curious as to what is correct. Thanks

I tend to agree, but I don’t think I can get that flap wedged in there also. One pic I saw but can’t find now, showed the locking strip cut at either end of the flap. Some guys say they were just cutting the flap off. Curious as to what is correct. Thanks
Hi Jeff, Got your PM... Do not cut the flap! The flap closes the bottom by itself. The lock strip does not go all the way around.
image-jpg.jpg

Out of curiosity, what is the purpose of the flap? So the lockstrip is cut where the flap starts and then lockstrip starts again where the flap ends?
Not sure why they made it that way. But, the bottom also just sits on the metal. The rest of it goes around the metal... I think maybe the lock strip helps it grab the flange tighter? Or maybe putting the strip in the bottom distorted the seal more than they wanted for it to lay right under the trim? Just my guess...

That’s the pic I was looking for! Thank you sir for your quick response. Sure doesn’t seem like that’s how it should go, but no way to get trim on with the flap exposed. I’ll get after it later, just waking up in this neck of the woods!

I know this is an old thread but I’m hoping zkx14 will chime in, as I’m having the same issue. Are you saying the locking strip should not go all the way around the windshield, but instead stop on either side of the flap and tuck the flap in where the lock strip would go? Thanks
1971 DusterView attachment 1715982737View attachment 1715982738
Yes, tuck it all the way around.

Out of curiosity, what is the purpose of the flap? So the lockstrip is cut where the flap starts and then lockstrip starts again where the flap ends?
The flap is what expands the seal to snug it to the frame. The older lock strip is doing the same as the flap. That's why they start leaking once the old chrome lock strip dries up, cracks and falls out...the reinforcement is gone and the seal is allowed to shrink over time with hot/cold temps and leak city

-
Back