Need help with my Holley

-

moparker

Reaction score
Out of the blue last Sunday my Duster wouldn't stay running unless I stayed on the gas pedal. Long story short I sprayed some carb cleaner in it and got it running right again. Took it for a spin and all was right with the world. Parked it for a half hour and went to pull it in the garage and the thing started again.
I changed the rubber lines that connect fuel line to filter and did the carb cleaner thing again. Eventually it cleared up again! I've checked all the electrical. I changed the plugs. Old ones looked fine by the way. Carb was professionally rebuilt 2 years ago and performed great. It's 750 double pumper. A friend thought something might be cloggin the carb. possibly from the hoses deteriorating. Another friend thinks the floats need adjusted. Another buddy thinks it's the power valve. What do you guys think?

Well I must have some dirt in the carb cause got in the needle valve made my float stick while I was driving it. I did not have a fun Sunday drive. Had fuel shooting out the vent tube and out the side of the carb. Gas all over a hot intake. Good times!

Holley's are VERY sensitive to debris, but it's been a long time since I got something in the needle & seat. Difficulty to keep it running to it overflowing seems to depend on the size of the "junk" in the needle & seat. If it's something that happens suddenly, that's the first place to look. Periodically, when I have the carb apart, I spray carb cleaner through every hole & passage in the carb as preventive maintenance. (Watch your eyes.) A bad/ruptured power valve can also cause running issues but not to overflow.

Its time to go through it again , its been my experience that holleys run best with a yearly rebuild

Lots of times when people build Holleys, they leave out the filter screens in the fuel inlets. They all come with them new. That's the last chance for catching any debris.

-
Back