Need help !

-

christian92

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a 1972 dodge dart swinger that I’m have some issues with the turn signals. I have replaced the flashers canisters and the ts switch . The drivers side will work the passenger will not . Flashers and break lights work any ideas ?

Try moving the signal lever up and down just a little while the lever is in the right signal position.
Some aftermarket signal switches don’t line up the contacts quite right.

I actually had to tweak the contact rods a bit to make an aftermarket switch work correctly.

Hey guys I have a 1972 dodge dart swinger that I’m have some issues with the turn signals. I have replaced the flashers canisters and the ts switch . The drivers side will work the passenger will not . Flashers and break lights work any ideas ?
Poor ground connection or a bad bulb, if the contacts on the bottom of the bulb are flat or dished they won't work correctly I've had that issue on a couple of early 70's A bodies.

Poor ground connection or a bad bulb, if the contacts on the bottom of the bulb are flat or dished they won't work correctly I've had that issue on a couple of early 70's A bodies.
Thanks for the help I will give that a try , just don’t understand why the break and the flasher light works until you turn the signal on then the lights go out

Thanks for the help I will give that a try , just don’t understand why the break and the flasher light works until you turn the signal on then the lights go out
Maybe check the 4-way switch, give it a couple cycles..

There's also a turn signal relay. It possibly could be bad. I'd check the light bulb sockets for corrosion, if they are corroded or rusty you can take your battery cable brush and clean them out, spray some wd 40 or equivalent on the brush before you clean up the sockets. As stated earlier the contacts on the turn signal switch could not be making contact. I think from the things suggested to you that you'll find the problem. Good luck.

I'd agree, poor ground at the bulbs, but just because the TS switch is new, does not mean "good."

Old school flashers are current sensitive. This means that one bad bulb may cause the flasher to flash very slowly vs normal, or not at all. Also check the connectors in the system. There is the TS switch connector coming out of the column, and there's a connector in the left kick panel where the rear harness goiing back to the truck connects with the instrument panel.

A hint: Do NOT come on here and post a question with "help" for the title. Think up a descriptive title, like "turn signals only party work" or some such. Thank you, tho, for giving us the year / model

And pay attention to the forum sections. Hit the link at the top of the page that says "Forums," and look for "electrical" or whatever the closest "department" you are asking about

If you do not have a service manual, wander over to MyMopar.com, and download a free service manual. You may have to settle for Plymouth vs Dodge and vise versa.

Also while you are there, look in the wiring section. There are 3rd party wiring diagrams. These are SOMEtimes easier to follow than factory, but may also leave out some detail. I use both routinely.

-
Back