Need Information. What trans?

-

westernstar

Reaction score
I have a transmission that came with a car I bought. I know it's a 3 speed auto with OD and is hydrolically operated. I was told I can bolt it up to my 340 although the tail shaft is a little longer. I think it's late 70's. The number on the bellhousing is 238-2 but I can't find any information on it. Are there any sites I can go to for the model of this trans. Thanks

If you have this tranny it is a A-500 or A-518 type tranny.Other versions are the 42RH,46RH used on gas power mopar engines.These tranny started in 1989 and move forward with more mods and electronic control.Normally you would have a tag or serial number on the side of the tranny to ID the unit.This would be a 17 digit letter and number code.Take a nother look and post a pic if you can or do a search under mopar 500/518 transmissions,Mrmopartech

There were no overdrive Chrysler built transmissions built in the 70's. If you have an OD Chrysler trans. it has to be alot newer than a 70's model. The identification numbers can be found stamped on main case rail just above the transmission pan mounting surface on the drivers side. There will be 2 sets of numbers there. One is the serial number. The other is the Part number.

Chrysler's OD tranmissions look physically like there 727 and 904 counterparts except their tailshaft extensions are much larger and longer because they contain an overdrive unit.

If you have a way to post a pix here I can tell you what it is. I know them all by sight.

Here are the photos of the trans. I couldn't find any other numbers except the ones you see on the bellhousing and 17905 3 on the tailshaft.

DSC01695.jpg

DSC01696.jpg

That's an A518 also known as a 46rh or 46re depending on what year. 46rh was hydraulically controlled unit and 46re was electronically controlled. They were used in Dodge Rams and Dakotas behind V8's and in Jeep V8's but not sure on the years there. The only thing odd I notice is the strange half moon cutout in the lower part of the bellhousing. I've never seen a Jeep model so maybe this is one.

The numbers I said to look for are not raised up like the ones your seeing. Their stamped into the housing and their small. Only about a quarter inch high. Look right below where the shift linkage slides onto the shift shaft at the rail above the pan and you'll see a long number there. That's it. I originally said there was 2 sets of numbers. I may have been wrong. I'm used to working on 85 and older transmissions which had 2 groups of numbers. Mr.Mopartech says one number that is 17 numbers long. Now that I think of it I think I heard that somewhere else so I think he's right. Anyhow that's where the number is.

BTW: What do you plan on putting this trans. in? The reason I ask is if it is an A-body car your gonna have trouble getting it in there. The OD unit is so fat it won't clear the floor pan and crossmember without alot of modification. It'll work in the larger cars but not in a Duster/Dart/Demon/pre70Cuda Etc. without mods. Also it is a lockup type trans. that will require an electrical circuit for the torque converter to opperate correctly but it's not really hard to build if your electrically inclined. Just another thing to think of.

If you think you can use this trans. you definetly need to verify the year because if it is newer than 95 it's a 46RE which means it's electronically controlled by the computer and will be very difficult to make work. In other words you need a computer to control it.

Fishy68 I cleaned my glasses off and there they were. PK52118318 1974 4865. I have a Model A with a 340 in it with a 727 trans. This trans came with the car as a spare in case the builder decided he wanted another gear. Not sure if I'll ever use it. I think he said it was out of an 80's van but it was to long ago to remmember. If I decided to sell it do you have any idea what to ask.

Your tranny decodes like this:

PK= Komomo Plant of assembly
52118318 is the part number
1974 = the build date of the tranny would be around late 89-90,as this number is of the second set of 10,000 day calendar.The 1974 is about 5.4 years into this new calendar.It does not mean the year.
The 4865 is the 4865 tranny built at this plant.

Mrmopartech

Those tranny's usually bring decent money cause their kinda hard to find in good shape. If you can guarantee it's good it should get you $300-400. At least that's what their briging in my area (Illinois).

-
Back