need new motor

-

wesgriffiths

Reaction score
I recently bought a 71 demon turn key race car. I was out with it last weekend and broke the crank and put a hole in the block now its time for a new motor. The current motor was a 420 with stock 340 block w2 heads and roller cam and rockers. Car weighs about 2900lbs and ran high 9.80's low 9.90's so would like about the same motor. I have a great engine builder close to me but was thinking of pricing out a crate motor,who is a good shop to deal with.

Wes, trying to find a small block crate engine that will run like that will be almost impossible in my opinion, and costly! How much is salvageable from your current engine? A good shop might be able to use some of what's left and put something together for a reasonable cost.

If you want a complete engine to bolt in, I'd get a hold of Mike Liston @ MRL Performance.....

http://www.mrlperformance.com/

If you are wanting to run a small block consistently at that power level I would find a R block, get a new crank and rebuild.

Wes, trying to find a small block crate engine that will run like that will be almost impossible in my opinion, and costly! How much is salvageable from your current engine? A good shop might be able to use some of what's left and put something together for a reasonable cost. If you want a complete engine to bolt in, I'd get a hold of Mike Liston @ MRL Performance..... http://www.mrlperformance.com/

x1000 , that's what I would do if I were to buy a complete engine , you know you are getting the best quality , other crate engines I would not trust .

I haven't pulled the engine out or apart yet, hopefully this weekend. I was thinking 48 degree r block and start from there. I was just thinking of exploring every option. Thanks for the replies

I had Bruce at ABS Comp engines in Regina, Saskatchewan build my 440'' small block. i'm thinking of selling the 440'' to put my R/T back on the street.

R blocks are only available from private parties. They went "NS1" last June at Chrysler meaning "no longer available, no longer being made".

-
Back