Need pointing in the right direction.

-

Michael Siple

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Can the pinion seal in a 8 3/4 , 489 case sure-grip be replaced without going any deeper ? Everything else seems good - only complaint is its slinging a little lube making a mess underneath. Thanks. -Mike

Check the pinion shaft for any grooves, I believe there are sleeves available if needed

Check pinion drag with a inch pound torque wrench,pointer type.with a new seal it should be a couple inch pounds more.Don’t over tighten.

Yes you can. Mark the nut on the yoke and the shaft with prick punch marks (all three in a row. Remove the nut and count the rotations. Carefully slide off the yoke. Swap out the seal and reverse by installing the yoke on the same spline then tightening up the nut exactly the amount of turns you removed it and line up the marks you first made. Has work 100% of the time for me every time. Good luck!

And as far as I know, (correct me if I'm wrong) the pinion turning torque mentioned earlier is with just the pinion and bearings in place and torqued to spec. It does not include the carrier or the ring gear.

I do it a little different, since it has a crush sleeve. I mark the nut and the yoke with lined up marks. When I put the nut back on, I tighten it up a little further than just the marks lined up. That puts a little tension back on the crush sleeve like it's supposed to be. I normally go about ten degrees past the mark on the yoke. That generally gets it just about right.

Thanks for every response. Emailed the doctor and was told near the same things as #4 & #6 . He said to make sure to use red loctite. Appreciate it fellas. -Mike

-
Back