Need Schooling on 73 Up Disk Brakes

-

dart4forte

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 66 Valiant with a later A body disk brake conversion. I have the big bolt pattern on the front rotors and the 7.25 rear.

was this the only disk brake setup that came on the 73s. I need to rebuild the front suspension and I have to order a front end kit and wheel bearings.

So ya, it was the only stock dish option at the time. Check Rockauto, if you piece it all together with the ball joints, idler, pitman, bushing, tie rods and sleeves it’s about 400-500 for all the parts to rebuild the suspension and brakes…

Make sure what calipers you have. I've forgotten?? Aspen Volare? or something will fit, and have larger pistons. So you don't want to end up with a small piston on one side, and large on the other!!

Also I'd check your upper joints. There used to be bushings you could get that allowed the use of drum upper arms and ball joints ---the bushings "bushed up" the larger taper in the top end of the spindles. Most use 73/ later upper arms "disk ball joints"

Make sure what calipers you have. I've forgotten?? Aspen Volare? or something will fit, and have larger pistons. So you don't want to end up with a small piston on one side, and large on the other!!

Also I'd check your upper joints. There used to be bushings you could get that allowed the use of drum upper arms and ball joints ---the bushings "bushed up" the larger taper in the top end of the spindles. Most use 73/ later upper arms "disk ball joints"

I checked the upper ball joint and my larger ball joint socket fit.

bearings are set 2 outer and set 17 inner

-
Back