Need some help and advice on rear axles

-

trebor75

Reaction score
Hello. I need some advice on rear axles. I’m an amateur whose been working on a 1970 Plymouth Duster. It’s a low budget project, originally a slant six car. I bought a 273 complete with 727 auto trans for a bargain of a friend. Did the swap this winter and it all turned out really well I’m happy to say. The little 273 runs great, but I still have the old 7 ¼ axle on the car. I’m not sure of the gear ratio, but it is really sluggish, nice on the highway though. But it won’t last long I guess.

I´d like to have a lower gear ratio so I can take of faster. And some sort of diff-lock and something that will last behind a smallblock. I suspect I might upgrade to a 340 in the future.

The a body axles don’t show up so often here in Sweden. So far I’ve found these ads (condition “should be fine” according to owners)

8 ¾ 741 housing 3:23 ratio, diff lock = 2010 USD
8 ¾ Formula s 741 housing 3:23 ratio, no diff lock = 1055 USD
8 ¼ with 3:21 ratio, diff lock = around 1290 USD

What should I look for/think about hunting axles? Would you go for any of these?

By the way, here is a video of me with the duster on the strip for the first
time in my life! Lots of fun so it won’t be the last!
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdS3BKo77pk"]YouTube- 1970 Plymouth Duster 273[/ame]

You could get by with the 8 1/4 with 3:21s. Sure Grip. That will handle the load you're putting on it. Great video! Is that an old airstrip? Good luck with your project!

Hi Trebor,

nice vid, seems you had a lot of fun that day. With the axles it´s the same problem here in germany, very expensive stuff - and then you still have to rebuild it.....

I´m looking for a Ford 8.8 out of an explorer to put it into my valiant. Reasonably priced, strong, good gear selection and most have sure grip. You have to modify this one a little bit but i think it´s worth the effort for us. Do a search here for ford 8.8 or 8.8 axle swap then you will get a lot of information.

best regards

Michael

you can buy the entire rear in dana 60 from currie less then the 2000, or strange also

Thanks. Shipping will probably cost a fortune to Sweden though.

You could get by with the 8 1/4 with 3:21s. Sure Grip. That will handle the load you're putting on it. Great video! Is that an old airstrip? Good luck with your project!

I believe I have a 2.76 or 2.41 ratio now. How much gain do I get from a 3.21? Yes, it's an old air strip that they sometimes use for car shows and racing.

Hi Trebor,

nice vid, seems you had a lot of fun that day. With the axles it´s the same problem here in germany, very expensive stuff - and then you still have to rebuild it.....

I´m looking for a Ford 8.8 out of an explorer to put it into my valiant. Reasonably priced, strong, good gear selection and most have sure grip. You have to modify this one a little bit but i think it´s worth the effort for us. Do a search here for ford 8.8 or 8.8 axle swap then you will get a lot of information.

best regards

Michael

I had so much fun! Thanks for the advice!

Your cheapest route as said,would be to get the Ford rear and mod it in.There,s probably more available in your area then the 8 3/4?Have fun,play safe!

I think i might go with the:

And then get a sure grip and leave the 3.23 ratio in for now.

I think i might go Witherspoon the

Im surprised the 7 1/4 has lasted this long the way you are hammering it. If you had much more torque i'm sure it would have lunched by now. Good luck!!

I think i might go with the:

I believe I would pick this one as well. You can't go wrong with an 8.75 :cheers:

I have 't any idea about rear axles. But I sure there are so many free e books are available for rear axles. And I hope you can get best advise from any of the books, it is very easy to find from google and ebay.com websites also.

-
Back