need some help clarifying the vr1 race oil

-
I wouldn't run any synthetic oil on any freshly rebuilt engine and run the risk that the rings won't seat properly but hey that's just my opinion and what do I know. I also wouldn't run 20W-50 unless I was racing in the middle of summer, 10W30 or 10W40. I run VR-1 10W30 BTW.

x2,dino oil for break in then switch it out to synthetic. vr1 racing is one of the few with zinc still.

well i've been running 20w50 vr1 non synthetic but the only oil in 20w50 at the autoparts store was the synthetic.

Whens a good mile marker to use synthetic oil?

Valvoline makes a oil that says either Not Street Legal or Not For Street right on the bottle. I can't remember which but I think it's Not Street Legal. This is what you want to run in your flat tappet motor to keep your cam alive. I purchased mine at NAPA or better yet find a shop that sells Brad Penn racing oil. On a good tight motor stay with the lighter weights like 10W-30.

VR-1 is not supposed to be used for long periods, something about breaking down rapidly. Made for racing motors that get oil changes in hours. not thousands of miles. There is a motor oil out there called "old car oil" or something whimsical like that, supposed to have plenty of zinc in it.

The "break in oil" I use is the same oil as what the motor is gonna get after it is "broken in", street cars, race cars its all the same to me. After the motor is turned over 15 or 20 times setting the valves its ready to rock.

VR-1 is not supposed to be used for long periods, something about breaking down rapidly. Made for racing motors that get oil changes in hours. not thousands of miles. There is a motor oil out there called "old car oil" or something whimsical like that, supposed to have plenty of zinc in it.

Classic car motor oil

Here is the real info on VR1 and yes it is designed for use on street drivem vehicles and no it wont break down any quicker than any other oil for similar use.

www.valvoline.com/pdf/VR-1_Racing_Motor_Oil.pdf

I have been using straight 30 weight in my 500 since new and have had no problems so far. I have changed the oil twice so far once after break in and once at the normal interval.

Comes out pretty clean....I'm sure there are a few other manufacturers out there as well.

Just an opinion.

Mop

I've used conventional high zinc "racing" oil to break in engines. But I'm running out and have stocked up on 15w-40 diesel oils from several years back that still had a decent amount of zinc, plus I bought Comp Cams break-in additives. After that, Amsoil Dominator 5w-20. But I have clearances on the tight side.

Amsoil has a variety of synthetic oils that have a lot of zinc in them.

http://www.amsoil.com/techservicesbulletin/motoroil/tsb mo-2007-08-08 flat tappet.pdf

-
Back