need some help for a newbie.

-

340plot

the bushy bush
Reaction score
i am looking at buying a a833 for a 71 340 manual car that i am picking up, but i cannot find info about the differences in the regular and the od trans.
the guy says that it is a a833 out of a duster, but how can i be sure?
he wants 350 for it, and says that it is good. is that too much?
he is also selling me his 340 that has a casting date of 9-69. it is completley apart. has every thing for it except the x- heads that he sold already. is there anything on that block that i should look for as in damaged areas? he also has a 440 b/b sitting with it, and now i need to go through all the internals and other parts to find out what i get with it. i dont want to grab a balancer for a b/b for the 340...
on the inner side of one of the balancers, it looks to have a section that has a weight on it. it is molded into the metal. it is not a seperate peice, but that is the only way i can explain it.
am i getting robbed for 800.00? i just want to do a stock rebuild on it. the crank looks to be really good, but i will send it out to get it polished when i get the rest of the engine work done.
please give me some feedback guys.. oh, and i cannot figure out what waterpump is the right one either, they both look to be about the same:angry7:

The balancer you describe sounds like one made for a cast crank 340 (72-73 only) or a 360...if memory serves, the cast 340 balancers actually have For Cast Crank Only cast into them, 360's just have the cast counterweight.
I can't say about bb stuff...
Can somebody come up with some casting numbers to help this guy find out what he's dealing with? Could be a motor assembled out of spare parts....not uncommon after all this time.
The block will have the casting date on one side of the block, and the vin on a pad under the cylinder head deck on the driver side of the engine.
Hope this helps some...
Alan

The balancer you describe sounds like one made for a cast crank 340 (72-73 only) or a 360...if memory serves, the cast 340 balancers actually have For Cast Crank Only cast into them, 360's just have the cast counterweight.
I can't say about bb stuff...
Can somebody come up with some casting numbers to help this guy find out what he's dealing with? Could be a motor assembled out of spare parts....not uncommon after all this time.
The block will have the foundry casting date on one side of the block, and the vin on a pad under the cylinder head deck on the driver side of the engine.
Hope this helps some...
Alan

Agree with alan, sounds like a cast crank damper. Is the crank a cast or forged unit? Although I dont have any numbers here, I would think if it starts with a 3 instead of a 2 it would be later than 1969.

Grant

If I'm not mistaken the OD trans has a larger boss that centers the trans in the bell housing. Other than that they look identical. I think it was bigger in those for output shaft bearing support.

I had an Aspen 4 door /6 OD 4 speed with 3.21 rear gears. Had a Miser D100 short box /6 OD 3.55 rear. I couldn't shift in to OD at anything under 60 MPH! The Aspen got 31MPG driving it 35 miles each day to and from work.

yea, the guy says that he took the engine apart himself, and i specifically asked if it was a peiced together engine and he said NO. it is a late 69 engine, so would it be a steel or cast crant? which one is better?
one last thing. i read the link(thank you) and it does not say the length of the tailshaft. does anyone know the length of a abody tailshaft off-hand? appreciate all the help guys

check the link again and look closely at the pictures an A body 4speed trans has 3 bolt holes near the end of the tail housing to mount the shifter pad if it has 2 locations to mount the shifter pad one by the trans case and one by the slip yoke it is NOT an A-body trans

check the link again and look closely at the pictures an A body 4speed trans has 3 bolt holes near the end of the tail housing to mount the shifter pad if it has 2 locations to mount the shifter pad one by the trans case and one by the slip yoke it is NOT an A-body trans
thank you. i see that i overlooked that. and after thinking about it,it had just one mounting spot.

Are you talking about the 340 crank or 440 crank. Ask him for the casting number and we'll run it to determine it's age and cast or forged.

Are you talking about the 340 crank or 440 crank. Ask him for the casting number and we'll run it to determine it's age and cast or forged.
ill call him tommorow for the numbers. thank you

Is the crank taken out of the 340, or still in the shortblock? If it is out...walk away. That is alot of money for pieces.

-
Back