Need some help from the Dakota gurus

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
A buddy from church drives a Dakota (200, V8 auto) and he called me this morning saying the ball stud on the gear selector on the transmission (it is an auto, I know that) broke off

Now, my plan is to buy a universal throttle cable stud kit, find the one that fits his gear selector cable and install that

Does this sound like a good idea or am I missing something?
Is the stock stud screwed in, pressed on or welded on?

Thanks guys

Last edited:
Got to know what transmission is in it. Early ones are just like a 727/904. Later modules were different.

I doubt he would know what tranny, he's not a car guy
Hopefully he'll text me back the year and engine and we can figure it out that way

or even the year, certainly he knows the year of truck he drives...

im waiting to hear back on the year/engine

i dont think he will be able to get me the VIN, since the truck is at his house, and he is at work

46RE if it's a 5.2/5.9 ?? Could be a 4.7.....

IIRC 5.2 was gone by 2000

5.9 if R/T (or crew cab motorsport edition) otherwise 4.7

found out i misunderstood the problem, and it was actually the eye on the shifter cable that was broken
so, we rednecked it up, drilled some holes in the lever and wrapped a few tie wraps around it

I just saw the thread, and glad I read it through.
But the second I saw it, I figured that the shift cable was busted at the end. Man did I sell a bunch of those cables back in the day!
I also sold a kit to replace the bushing that worked pretty good as long as the cable end wasn't busted. It came with a bushing and a funny looking tool to install it with. Saw an awful lot of them that were jerry-rigged, that rarely worked out well. Usually well enough to get home and fix it right.

Oh, I made it perfectly clear, what I did was not a fix, and only a new cable would be
But, it but him running again and I told him to throw some extra zip ties in the glove box for when these break

Hopefully the break going into park, and not going into drive, or he might have a challenge ahead of him

-
Back