Need some help with my 727 Auto Tranny.....

-

Duster Fan

Reaction score
I usually do this myself, but I took my '70 Duster by a transmission shop today, to have them check my stripped bolt hole in the tranny pan. Well upon draining the fluid, and taking the pan off they found metal shavings(at first the guy said iron, then steel, and then finally deciding on calling them metal) on the bottom of the pan, as well as in the fluid.

The tranny was just rebuilt 1000 miles ago by Shift Management in Sacramento, CA. So I don't see how it could be going bad already?

But the thing that really irritated me, was that they F***ing put the old trans fluid back in.......(the fluid with the shavings) I'm going to redrain it tomorrow before I drive it for any length of time.

I have had no problems with the tranny shifting either. This is on a 727 auto trans.

So if you guys have any ideas on what the shavings could be I'd appriciate your in-put!

clutch disc.........and bands....have some degree of slippage, so you will always have stuff on the bottom of the pan...

i think a small amount of shavings is normal. i change my tranny fluid every year and i always have a small amount of shavings and its been 12 years now with no probs as of yet .but there is some good tranny guys in here so lets see what they say

So is it something I REALLY need to worry about? Or is it not that big of a deal? I should also note that the duster used to be a drag car....used to be.

stuck a magnut to the bottom bof your pan i used a small speaker mag and drive it if it shifts and feels right good luck

I've got two good sized magnets in there now. But neither of them had any metal particles stuck to them.

I went to a Cottman Transmission in Sacramento 10 yrs ago to check a 727 tranny that a Cottman in Atlanta had rebuilt just before I moved, because it still showed "morning sickness" (drain back from torque converter overnight). I thought I was getting a warranty look, but they gave me their standard "free inspection" scam. After the guy pulled the pan, he called me over and showed me "your clutches are failing", about all he could say in English. He had thrown a piece of cork gasket in the pan. I told them "put it back together". They did, re-using the same gasket and oil they had drained. I had to pull the pan later to install a new gasket to stop the leaks. I suspect that transmissions shops ruin more than they fix, like all the A-604's they put Dexron in, giving Chrysler minivans a bad name. That Cottman had cars stacked outside to the yahoo, always sitting there whenever I drove down Arden Way. I suspect they were being held hostage until the owners paid for new clutch plates. I reported them to the CA inspectors.

This place basically gave me the "your torque converter is failing" speech. And after I explained to them that the trans was basically still new, and under warranty the guy started stumbling over his words trying to find something to counter-act what I had just told them.

I'm going to be changing my fluid, gasket, and filter asap. Now, what are the best type of each to use?

If you could include part #'s that'd be great.

I went to a Cottman Transmission in Sacramento 10 yrs ago to check a 727 tranny that a Cottman in Atlanta had rebuilt just before I moved, because it still showed "morning sickness" (drain back from torque converter overnight). I thought I was getting a warranty look, but they gave me their standard "free inspection" scam. After the guy pulled the pan, he called me over and showed me "your clutches are failing", about all he could say in English. He had thrown a piece of cork gasket in the pan. I told them "put it back together". They did, re-using the same gasket and oil they had drained. I had to pull the pan later to install a new gasket to stop the leaks. I suspect that transmissions shops ruin more than they fix, like all the A-604's they put Dexron in, giving Chrysler minivans a bad name. That Cottman had cars stacked outside to the yahoo, always sitting there whenever I drove down Arden Way. I suspect they were being held hostage until the owners paid for new clutch plates. I reported them to the CA inspectors.

A small amount of debris in the pan is normal, but we can't see how much debris.
Less than a nickle size total wouldn't worry me.
When you get black flakes or actual steel that sticks to your magnets it's time to be concerned.

Search FABO for fluid recommendations. I recall that most suggest ATF+4 of the standard retail types. It is fully synthetic and has the most friction modifiers, as I understand. Some use Type F in older Chryslers. I did, but am switching to ATF+4.

A small amount of debris in the pan is normal, but we can't see how much debris.
Less than a nickle size total wouldn't worry me.
When you get black flakes or actual steel that sticks to your magnets it's time to be concerned.

x2

I use Dextron/mercon in my 727's. That is the standard fluid chrysler has used for years.

if its non-magnetic, its probly just some babit off the sprag. no big deal. it also could have come out of the cooler from the old tranny damage. did they at leased fix the stripped pan bolt?

if its non-magnetic, its probly just some babit off the sprag. no big deal. it also could have come out of the cooler from the old tranny damage. did they at leased fix the stripped pan bolt?

Yeah, the did fix that. They charged me $20 a bolt for a total of $120 bucks!! Some of the metal was on one of my magnets, not both of them though.

A small of material in the pan is normal especially after rebuilding or installing a new tranny. Get everything cleaned up, I'd even replace the filter since the pans off anyway and recheck it in 6 months. If you're still seeing a lot of debris then I'd be concerned.

-
Back