Need some help with rear axle position

-

Takoctopus

Reaction score
I have a cut down 8 3/4 rear end in my car but I am not sure if it is positioned correctly. The drivers side tire is rubbing on the outside wheel well and the passenger side is almost rubbing on the inside wheel well. I have wide tires.It looks to me the axle perches need to be about off set by an inch.
Are the perches normally offset? Any advise on this would be appreciated.

My OE A-body 8 3/4 housing, with A-Body axles, the CL of the perches (both sides the same) to the outside of the bearing flange (not the axle flange) is about 5"

If you cut down a b body or greater housing and also used cut down b body or greater axles the ~5 inches might be closer to ~4.75" assuming you kept the factory axle bearing flange to axle bearing flange distance of ~52 1/4" to ~52 1/2"

I am basing some of the dimensions above from this website others I measured. (the reason I am noting approximate dimensions is it was dark in the garage and my housing is face down so I had to measure over the hump etc)

Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About The 8 3/4 Axle

Any chance you have an A-body axle on one side and a B or up axle on the other? The A vs B and up and not the same from axle flange to bearing (A is shorter)

Any chance you have wheels with different back spacing?

Thanks for the information. I will get some measurements in the morning and see what I am dealing with better. Thanks again

Looking forward to your results. Hope you don't have to relocate your perches

I can get you better measurements tomorrow if you need them, my 8 3/4 is fully disassembled.

Info on the internet can be dangerous. Especially Mopar stuff.

Stock A body 8.75's should be 52 5/8" flange to flange. I would drop a string and measure outer fenders lips and calculate where the axle needs to move if you want the tires side to side in their wheelhouses.

These cars were built with horrible tolerances and they stack up. I've had cars where the wheelhouse widths where 1/2" difference.

The last few cars I built the perches were over to 1 side by about an inch. Just center it to the inside of the wheel tub. Kim

I took a quick measurement from the frame rails to the outer lips and there is an inch difference between the two. Drivers side lip is 14 inches from the frame rail and the passenger is 15 inches.
The springs have been moved to the chassis rails and it has 8 1/2 wheels on it now. Dropping an inch or so should keep things from rubbing.
Thanks for all the good ideas

So technically if you have a 1 inch difference in your measurement that means that the axle is a half an inch off of being Center. Not one inch.

Personally I'd be underneath there with the tape measure finding out where that half-inch came from. And then correcting it. Not moving the housing over half an inch.
But then I'd want my car going down the road straight instead of sideways. Although if it's sideways it will corner that One Direction much better than the other way.

So technically if you have a 1 inch difference in your measurement that means that the axle is a half an inch off of being Center. Not one inch.

Personally I'd be underneath there with the tape measure finding out where that half-inch came from. And then correcting it. Not moving the housing over half an inch.
But then I'd want my car going down the road straight instead of sideways. Although if it's sideways it will corner that One Direction much better than the other way.
I lost an inch on the drivers side fender, it looks to have been pushed in just a bit so I am going to drop an inch off the wheels and that will free it up.
Thanks again

Why not stick a board up in between your Fender and your tire and pry that back out then you wouldn't have to move the rear end around and you get your space back.

-
Back