Need some help with torsion bar adjustment

-

downsr

Reaction score
Car is a 70 duster with new mp torsion bars.I loosen the nut on the lower control arm.I then turn the adjusting screw in.I do both sides the same.I am taking a measurement at the center of the wheel to the fender on each side.I started at 25 1/2 on each side after adjusting i take the measurements again both sides are 26 3/8 great.Drive it down the road 5 miles come back take the measurements again and its back to 25 1/2.Any ideas what might be wrong or what i am doing wrong.The car drives fine just wanted to raise the ride height a little.

Did you bounce the car up and down a few times after the adjustment before you took your measurements???

How many times have you done this? Are you using the same cement pad each time? And is the car in the same state each time;ie no passengers on board?What size are those new bars?

With skinny factory bars;
Crank them up about 4 full turns.
Roll the car backwards about 4 ft, and then back to where it was.
Measure the height.
Repeat as necessary to get TOO HIGH.
Then fine tune down, rolling the car each time.

Last edited:
I did bounce the car up and down a few times and re-measured got 26 3/8 drove it and back to 25 1/2.I have done this a few times before .Took measurement same place as i did before.Seems like torsion bars are bad.Or you can not measure to the fenders like i am doing

I did bounce the car up and down a few times and re-measured got 26 3/8 drove it and back to 25 1/2.I have done this a few times before .Took measurement same place as i did before.Seems like torsion bars are bad.Or you can not measure to the fenders like i am doing
The bars are stock 892 -893 or what mp claims them to be

loosen the nut on the LCA? just being over cautious? I have adjusted many a Mopar torsion car and never found that to be necessary - I know a few guys who will hit the adjusters with an impact - I won't. That said, if you are cranking on them and the car is going up - then you're doing it right - - have they topped out on ya?

With a V8 up front, those guys will want some preload. The bolts will need to be more than 1/2 way cranked in. Verify that the noses are properly seated in the swivels and keep cranking them. See post #3.

BTW
those bars are side-specific, and the numbers have to be facing to the rear. IIRC the even number (892) goes on the drivers side.In any case, they are also marked with an "L" and an "R"; for Left and Right

Last edited:
I still have a lot of adjustment and bolts are seated correctly and the bars are like you said even on drivers side facing backwards

Perfect, except double the first couple of adjustments to 8 full turns. I usually put a jack under the Kmember, and raise the K to take the weight off the adjusters, so the threads will last longer, and I put anti-sieze on the threads before I install them,too
so back to post #3

Last edited:
Have to turn in for the night have to get up at 4 am for work will check back in tomorrow Thanks for the help

It will settle down a little after adjusting... Bounce it a bit and take it for a test drive, then measure...

-
Back