Need some valve adjusting advice

-

downsr

Reaction score
Getting ready to adjust cold lash on valves .Cam card says .020 hot lash on both intake and exhaust. What should the cold lash be ? Camshaft maker says .016. The engine is a 340 block
with elderbrock heads. I was told previously that you should allow .006 with aluminum heads which would make the cold lash .014. Whats some of your guys opinion on the cold lash setting
It is a solid lift roller camshaft

Getting ready to adjust cold lash on valves .Cam card says .020 hot lash on both intake and exhaust. What should the cold lash be ? Camshaft maker says .016. The engine is a 340 block
with elderbrock heads. I was told previously that you should allow .006 with aluminum heads which would make the cold lash .014. Whats some of your guys opinion on the cold lash setting
It is a solid lift roller camshaft

You don't need an opinion, you need what somebody knows and has personally tested.

Why does the cam card say .020" and the camshaft maker say .016"? How does that happen? Does the cam card say that the advertised duration is tested at .020" lift or does it say the valve lash is .020"?

Whatever the correct hot lash is, it is safe to go .006" tighter on cold lash. Yes, I have done it this way, many times.

If it was me, I would set it .006" tight cold or .014" lash cold. If I was you, I would do what the cam maker says.

If it was me, I would set it .006" tight cold or .014" lash cold. If I was you, I would do what the cam maker says.

^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^

The only way to get .020 hot is to set them at .014 cold and then check them hot. If hot the lash is under .020 you can loosen the cold setting by that amount. If the lash hot is over .020 then tighten the cold lash by that amount until you get your .020 hot.

It's a bit of a trial and error thing, because no two engines will change the same when hot.

agree w/ this--------I set mine at .011 cold, cam card calls for .016 and .018 hot. don`t reset it at all. w/ alum. heads -solid roller.

-
Back