Need to identify a particular K-member and Pitman

-

TIBBY

Reaction score
I'm new to FABO and excited about the info I've already obtained.

I have 73 Duster440/727,originally a 340 manual, I've bought a new front suspension replacement kit (ball joints, poly bushings,etc.) and I cant figure out what K-member is in it, it is not original, It appears to have the sway bar tunnelling through it...I'ts massive. The reason I ask is the pitman arm is not for a 340 duster either, I thought the steering box and P.Arm came with the Kmember, and I'm having trouble getting the correct one. It bends down and then comes up through the steering link(nut is on the top). Sure appreciate any help. I have some pics at http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/gg82/440DUSTER/?albumview=slideshow

Thanks

You have a 73-76 A-body K-frame.

You have a 68-72 A-body manual steering gear, pitman arm, idler arm and centerlink setup. That setup will swap into a 73-76 k-member as a whole unit with all the parts mentioned together. The 68-72 manual steering gear pitman arm is the same part number as the 68-72 power steering arm.

I can not see a picture of the lower control arms.

If the lower control arms have a sway bar welded mount near the end of them, then it would take a 67-72 front sway bar. That is bolted to the front of the K-member and you can drill two holes in the K-member to accept that.

If the lower control arms have a sway bar mount welded in the middle of the arm then it would take a 73-76 front sway bar with the bar passing through the k-member. You will need some brackets to bolt to the two holes in your k-member for that.

damn autoxcuda, how do you tell by those pics that the pitman and centerlink are 68-72? i got the k frame, but haven't seen 68-72 next to a 73-76 in a long time.

damn autoxcuda, how do you tell by those pics that the pitman and centerlink are 68-72? i got the k frame, but haven't seen 68-72 next to a 73-76 in a long time.

It's not my first rodeo :laughing:

The end of the centerlink where the tie rod goes onto it is vertical in one of the pictures. Sort of like a twisted looking end. That is a 67-72 centerlink. I bet someone swapped that manual steering into the car above. It is easier to to find 72 and earlier manual steering boxes. So when a previous owner found that box, that forced him swap the centerlink, pitman, and idler to match.

If a k-member has a through bolt idler it is a 68-72 K-member instead of the one year 67 K-member with the 67 only stud idler.

The 73-76 center link has a flat looking end of the centerlink.

When I got a reman Mopar power steering box for my 68 Cuda in 1993 it was a large spline 73 and up style. So I needed to convert the idler, centerlink, and pitman to the 73-76 style and just bolt it to my 68 K-member.

When I switched to the 73-76 K-member in 1998 I just swapped all the steering stuff over no problem.

Thanks A Bunch For The Info, Autox. The New Pitman Arm Is On Its Way!

i knew about the 67 only idler, we're doing the same for my buddys 67 dart. he just picked up a 68 v8 kframe.

i guess i never noticed that about the centerlink though. learn something new.

After reading this thread, I have a question.

I am going to pull the /6 and 9" drum K-member out of my 71 Demon.

I want to replace it with the V8 and K-member with disc brakes out of a 75 Dart Sport.

Can I use the manual steering setup that is on the current 71 K-member instead of the power steering setup that is on the 75? Would it be a direct bolt in? Or do I need to swap out a whole bunch of parts?

Thanks in advance!

After reading this thread, I have a question.

I am going to pull the /6 and 9" drum K-member out of my 71 Demon.

I want to replace it with the V8 and K-member with disc brakes out of a 75 Dart Sport.

Can I use the manual steering setup that is on the current 71 K-member instead of the power steering setup that is on the 75?

Yes. Your setup will end up looking just like Tibby's from underneath the car.

Would it be a direct bolt in?

Yes

Or do I need to swap out a whole bunch of parts?

Just the centerlink, pitman, idler, and steering gear from your 71. Heck just leave it in there bolted

If you feel slick, just:
  • unbolt the end tie rod ends to spindles
  • unbolt the thru bolt of you idler
  • unbolt the 3 bolts for your steering gear
  • tie up your steering gear
  • tie up your idler
  • unbolt motor mount to k-frame bolt on each side
  • jack motor up a little
  • slide a thick square block of wood under the whole oil pan bottom 1/2" or so above where it was with the k-member in
  • lower motor on the blocks
  • unbolt the shocks, remove t-bars, unbolt upper A-arm to frame, ubolt k-member and remove it the suspesion still on it.
  • install the new spool motor mounts to motor
  • slide around the whole k-frame assy. with upper control arms, spindles, lower control arms, strut rods bolted up.
  • raise k-frame assy and it will slide over the motor mounts and line up the k-member bolts.
  • bolt up, steering gear, idlers, upper control arms to frames, install t-bars, shocks, etc...

Maybe a few steps missed, but you get the idea.

That complete K-member assy would be a bear to manhandle under jack stands. I would actually just do the above with the bare k-member and then bolt on the suspension on it.

This is just taking out the k-member pic in my car with all the steering still hooked up. Second pic is a friends 73-76 k-member assy..

RtWeldGenl.JPG

Kassemblydriverssider.jpg

-
Back