Need valve adjustment help

-

downsr

Reaction score
Have a 340 with solid lift cam.I need to ck the valve adjustments.Can anyone tell me what valves can be checked using 90 degree increments on the balancer. 0-90-180-270.Also if it calls for .020 on intake and exhaust (hot) what would it adjustments be cold.Has aluminum heads

Here is the chart I use, not sure on adjustments, it depends on aluminum or iron heads.

Attachments

• valve lash chart.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 337
If the balancer is indexed at 90* increments, then you can do it one cylinder at a time. Start with the the #1 piston at TDC compression, and work through the firing order; 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2, rotating the crank exactly 90 degrees CW(down on the driver's side),to the next index mark, after each pair is adjusted.. This will ensure that the lifters are always on the base circle. This is also my preferred method.

I can't answer the hot/ cold difference.

Start at .004 TIGHT if you are using aluminum heads and then check it hot. If they are loose then go a bit tighter when cold.

That chart is OK on engines with the common GM/ Mopar firing order, but "what do you do" when you are over at a "Ford" owner's garage, and want to help him?

Just remember EOIC, which means

Turn the crank until the EXHAUST valve just begins to OPEN, and adjust that intake

Turn the crank until the INTAKE has opened and is CLOSING, nearly closed, and adjust that exhaust

This works on anything from one cylinder to "I don't know" how many, pretty much anything with poppet valves.

That chart is useful for any motor with the same firing order. That means almost every Mopar and most GM V8s! It has worked great for me for about 40 years.

See and how to hot rod small block mopars says:

valve.jpg

And if you renumber Ford smallblocks So that the cylinders are numbered from the front to the back on the crankshaft, like everybody else does,instead of 1-2-3-4 down the driver's side,etc, then you will discover that their firing order is the same as ours.At least thats how i remember it from the 60's and 70s

^^And herin lies the problem^^ The old traditional 289 / FE firing order is different than the "newer" 351 style. Same with GM. If you learn to use EOIC, you don't need to remember anything else, nor do you need a chart, or to mark the crank.

I use the chart gtsdude posted, and I was told by my engine builder to use the method 67dart273 posted. check them against each other and they were different. I just picked the one that worked for me and stuck with it for consistency. My hughes rockers instructions called for an extra .002 to .003 for iron, and for aluminum .007 to .008 when cold for first start up.

You all assume that cam lobes are perfect, they are not. Will it get you close, yes. Try it and see if you don't have a larger gap if you rotate the engine and keep checking the lash. I've run a solid cam in almost every car I built for the last 40 years. The best way is running and hot. I won't even set them cold with that chart.

I have tried the chart, EOIC and a few other methods. The best one for "me" and my simple mind is simply adjusting them one at a time, getting each one on the base circle.

Not knocking anyone else's method, but this is what works for me.

I have tried the chart, EOIC and a few other methods. The best one for "me" and my simple mind is simply adjusting them one at a time, getting each one on the base circle.

Not knocking anyone else's method, but this is what works for me.

rustys method is fool proof. all my mech. friends say--.006 tighter on alum. heads, because of the expansion of the alum..

I use the chart gtsdude posted, and I was told by my engine builder to use the method 67dart273 posted. check them against each other and they were different. I just picked the one that worked for me and stuck with it for consistency. My hughes rockers instructions called for an extra .002 to .003 for iron, and for aluminum .007 to .008 when cold for first start up.

with aluminum heads you should be tighter not looser...

I have been using the MP 8 position chart for many years....as said..do what ever makes you sleep good at night....

with aluminum heads you should be tighter not looser...

I have been using the MP 8 position chart for many years....as said..do what ever makes you sleep good at night....
good catch 70aarcuda! I did mean tighter, but sure doesn't look like it came out that way LOL

-
Back