Needed: The best of both worlds

-
Yes it is possible to get 19mpg or even 25 or more using the ol' stovebolt engines but the variables also bring problems. Understandably the gasoline is nothing like it was even 2 years ago, now with 10 to 20% additives of either oxygen or corn liquor ( Ethanol ) and who knows what else is to come.

I wake up every day with new ideas and its always been that way yet for a while I will leave the 360 in its place and only because this will be my last stovebolt and I wanna drive the car a few thousand miles before I make my decision unless of course the gas mileage is something I can't live with. I get this crap from a lot of people while they themselves change over to Ford suspensions with different names so as to keep in favor with other Mopurists while destroying some of the finest suspension used the world over, the torsion bar :)

2003-04 Lightning truck supercharged 5.4 DOHC with automatic
3500.00 area complete assembly with harness/ECM box/stuff
DIY

I Thank you for reading this and remember I need my 25 mpg and 300 rwhp and I need it for under 5 thousand dollars, preferably under 3 thousand dollars.

360 Magnum roller motor.
.030 rebuild, with hypereutectic pistons (should hold well at 300HP)
Moderate performance cam, using OE lifters (Comp Cams)
Enginequest or RHS or Edelbrock heads, ported with velocity in mind.
Edelbrock or Hughes dual plane intake for EFI use
Fastman or equivalent modified throttle body.

MSD or Mallory upgraded ignition with multi-spark, and premium wires and coil.
Electric fan
Moderate headers, true dual exhaust with x pipe, and moderate size piping.
A518 OD trans, with quality rebuild, and moderate stall converter for a little bit of fun factor, while retaining lock up feature for the MPG.

2.94 gear set

The make it or break it here would be to upgrade to a stand alone EFI system, such as Mega Squirt, and a laptop and wideband.

The stock magnum 360 was rated at 230Hp and 310TP in a truck. My 97 Ram 1/2 ton 2wd 5 speed can tickle 20 MPG if driven right, and that is a 5000 lb truck, with 200K miles. The above modifications, particularly heads, cam, and intake changes would raise HP and keep the TQ. The combo in a lightweight A body would get better MPG then 2.5 ton truck, and the topping of the Mega squirt should allow MOST of the stock stuff to be used (injectors, sensors) + the tuneability will allow you to truly dial it in for best MPG on highway conditions.

Yes it is possible to get 19mpg or even 25 or more using the ol' stovebolt engines but the variables also bring problems. Understandably the gasoline is nothing like it was even 2 years ago, now with 10 to 20% additives of either oxygen or corn liquor ( Ethanol ) and who knows what else is to come.

I wake up every day with new ideas and its always been that way yet for a while I will leave the 360 in its place and only because this will be my last stovebolt and I wanna drive the car a few thousand miles before I make my decision unless of course the gas mileage is something I can't live with. I get this crap from a lot of people while they themselves change over to Ford suspensions with different names so as to keep in favor with other Mopurists while destroying some of the finest suspension used the world over, the torsion bar :)

yeah hotlines I know what ya mean about the gas these days, it absolutely SUCKS! I can't leave my vehicles sit any length of time at all without the gas going bad, every time I turn around I am putting fresh gas in my warlock or my motorcycle and trying to get the carb unscrewed... And it MOST definitely is not helpin in the MPG dept...

I have owned this car for over 25 years and I built it like I would build any hot rod and for the most part I am not a newbie in the car world as I've actually been there and done that as one would say. The only engines Chrysler make for what I am looking at have only been around for the past maybe 7 years and as far as the 518 transmission my second 340 engine was finished in 92 and that trans wasn't strong enough back then. The price I would have to pay for any one of those two would dig into my retirement funds.

What upsets me the most is the arrogance of the purist to recommend a Chrysler engine while removing all the best parts from their Mopars in which to replace them with Ford Mustang parts and still call themselves a Mopar person. For crying out loud HEIDT'S was the first to introduce the Mustang II front end for hot rods which Mopar persons use calling them alterkations and whoever else. Whether a front end, a rear end or a different car manufacturers transmission, I am upset with this kind of mentality yet have found a few who actually know WTF I am talking about. Granted I speak not of those who can read but those who cannot.

Everything in this Signet has been there for at least 20 years and still looks new and I will have my Signet finished and registered with its Dodge engine by the end of this month with photos to follow with its Lexus charcoal leather front and rear seating and the entirety weighs less then 50 pounds and fits like a glove.

I joined this site because I am into cars, I am not into politics

Best wishes in trying to get 25mpg and 300hp.8)

I got 19-20 mpg out of the 318 I put in my 1964 Valiant,
and it may be close to 300hp, but not EFI. Maybe EFI would allow the extra gas mileage.

The car sure is aerodynamic enough.

1974 era 318 stock bore
cast # 302 heads
Edelbrock LD4B intake
Edelbrock # 1406 carb
Mopar Cam, P4452759AB Advertised Duration 260/268, Lift .430/.450
duals off the stock 273 manifolds
stock rear 2.93 rear gear.

-
Back