Neutral Safety Switch Question

-

71DartGuy

Reaction score
Putting the big block 727 in I noticed that it has a single post for the Neural Safety Switch and the harness from the 904 I took out has a 3 prong connector. Can I crimp on a round connector to the single post and worry about the reverse lights later so I can crank this thing?

Second question... I wanted to see if the starter i just fought with for 2 hours was going to engage correctly and it would only dim the dome light so I'm assuming its because the NSS isnt hooked up yet..Sound about right?

If the neutral safety switch isn't supplying a ground signal to the start relay the relay wont draw any current. The starter shouldn't draw any current either.

So if its laying on the ground under my car it wont ground out right?! Just kidding. Thats a good explanation Red, thanks!

Yes, you can connect the centre wire of your car's ('69-up) plug to the one and only prong on the ('68 and earlier) neutral safety switch, and it'll work.

Or you can buy a new style switch for about $12 and install it so the plug plugs in. Get one for a 69-70 and it'll work right. There's newer ones (can't remember the yr break but I think it was around 75) that won't work with the old style rooster comb in an older trans.

Thanks Fishy- I read about the rooster comb thing and wasnt sure what year they changed or if I could just buy a switch with the 3 prongs. I found one at Advance Auto for around $15. i think I'll give it a try.

-
Back