new 360 need some advice

-

scott hoffman

Reaction score
Hi this is Scott, i need some advice on this rebuilt 1975 360 small block that I got last week for 400 bucks. When i got the motor it was a long block with no oil pan, the block is 30 over looks like stock rods, stock pistons, the heads are i think the smog heads with the ports plugged. The cam is mopar, 1138 witch translates close to crane cams duration 288 / 292 lift 458 / 465 RPM range 2,500 to 5,500. I was trying to post picture but am told the files are to big so no pics.

Ok my questions are do i use the windage tray?
the stock 360 heads are what came on the motor looks to have a little port work, but the valves seem to be different on both heads, plus the smog holes are plugged.

OK I have a fresh set of 340 X heads but the springs seem to be a lot tighter, than what is in the stock heads, can i use the X heads on the stock 360?

Would I need new pistons with the valve reliefs? What would be a reasonable set of 30 over pistons for street use? I also have a new old set of eagle Sir rods, if i needed new pistons to use the X heads would it be worth it to use the Sir rods and would I have to have it re balanced? Thanks scott

I would use the X heads and get the matched springs for the cam. The other heads are older truck heads with smog ports. The X heads should be 2.02 in both heads and neither head requires changing the piston

If you have a windage tray with the bolts I would use it.

I do have the tray with the bolts and a 6 quart kevko oil pan, any suggestions on a decent street cam, it has a 727 trans and 355 posi. This is for my suns 73 roadrunner. The 360 in the car has developed a slight rod knock.

Talk to Mike at MLR (and buy the parts from him), He will maximize your build for your weight, converter, driving style and a dozen other factors you might not have thought of. Did a great job for me. Hes a sponsoring vendor here too.

Talk to Mike at MLR (and buy the parts from him), He will maximize your build for your weight, converter, driving style and a dozen other factors you might not have thought of. Did a great job for me. Hes a sponsoring vendor here too.

I had tried to talk to mike several times but for some reason I could not get the shop to answer the phone. Since this is for my sun to drive and is just a cruiser, I went with the Hughes whiplash cam meant for low compression engines, double roller timing chain, matched springs and lifters, the X heads and an Eddy air gap manifold. Going to save some on the funds so I can Finnish building my 367 old school stroker.

-
Back