New 383 Build for My Son's '68 Dart

-
how does the roller tip land on the valve tip? that angle looks like mine do and my engine see's 7k on a regular basis.

The rollers are just to the intake side of the center of the valve tip, so they should traverse across the centerline as the rocker cycles, correct ?

take the rockers off and color the valve tip with a sharpie. then mock it all up and turn it over by hand a few rotations. then pull the rockers. that will show your contact points. you want them as close to center as possible.

Did the heads get the valve job and guide clearances checked before they were bolted on?

Hey red - need about two to three threads coming out the adjusters, should look like youngguns. Angle looks a little off, but can be camera and such.

Need the group to check my pushrod setup.... Does this angle look acceptable, with a checking length of 8-7/16 inches ?? Also, do I need 5/16 or 3/8 pushrods ?

Hard to tell where the roller is on the valve tip. It looks about right. I like the smaller pushrods. I prefer they be the weak link instead of valves or pistons. They are much cheaper and easier to replace. JMO

Minor progress this week. Did the rocker arm geometry and ordered pushrods. Installed the p/s pulley, a nice aluminum piece from CVF Racing, and cheaper than the stock stamped piece. Also installed the thermostat and housing. Will start grouping spacers and shims for the rocker shafts while we wait for the pushrods.....

Attachments

• 8-23-13 s.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 578
Hey red - need about two to three threads coming out the adjusters, should look like youngguns. Angle looks a little off, but can be camera and such.

I'm getting in on this a little late, but this two to three turns on the PRW rocker arms may be extremely poor advice.

The oil hole in the rocker body lines up with the adjuster hole in the PRW rocker screw when you back the screw all the way into the body until it stops and then you turn it out ONE TURN. Three turns out may block the oil hole completely off. Unless you have actually tested the PRW rockers, generic advice on rocker screw threads exposed may not be wise.

The pushrods arrived yesterday, so we worked on finishing the rocker arms geometry. Here's a photo of the wipe pattern on the top of one of the valve stems... Still need to finalize the shim spacing between the rockers to get them all aligned right. And UPS says our Schumacher big block ceramic coated headers are due in on Tuesday.....

Attachments

• Valve Stem Pattern 8-25-13 s.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 574
I'm getting in on this a little late, but this two to three turns on the PRW rocker arms may be extremely poor advice.

The oil hole in the rocker body lines up with the adjuster hole in the PRW rocker screw when you back the screw all the way into the body until it stops and then you turn it out ONE TURN. Three turns out may block the oil hole completely off. Unless you have actually tested the PRW rockers, generic advice on rocker screw threads exposed may not be wise.

We also checked this. The oil holes are still high enough in the rocker to feed oil to the cup with our pushrods. Thanks for the heads up....

The valvetrain is done. Hope to get the valve covers cleaned up and installed over the weekend so we can prime the engine and check oil pressure. And the Schumacher headers showed up the other day.....beautiful.!! Also dropped off the 727 trans at JW Performance Transmission (down the road from my house) for a street/performance rebuild and a custom 2000 stall converter. If you ever get a chance to tour their shop, do it. They have 6 or 8 Haas CNC mills (the ones that are the size of Ram vans), a converter fab room, and a trans dyno (not powered by a Mopar...sorry). Very friendly and knowledgable crew....

Attachments

• 8-29-13 s.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 552
Got the intake installed. Also primed the engine and verified good oil pressure and good supply to and from the heads. Valve covers are on also. Just have to wait for the header bolts to show up so we can install the headers. Also waiting for a new dipstick tube (ours was cracked). Had to shim the left side engine mount to the rear about 3/16 to clear the oil pump relief plug.

Attachments

• 9-2-13 Left s.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 529
  • 9-2-13 Right s.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 518
Installed the Schumacher headers today. Schumacher says we can install the engine with the headers on..... Guess we'll find out....

Attachments

• 9-5-13 Left s.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 498
  • 9-5-13 Right s.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 508
That looks super nice! Yall oughtta be proud of it. I know I sure would be.

Just tuned in, nice work man, I have been kicking the idea around of throwing a 383 in my 69 dart. The low deck's fit real nice in an A body, that thing is going to be a beast!

Nice,taking a little time on valve train sure makes life easier in the long run.

Picked up the 727 trans and converter from JW Transmission on Monday. Here's the trans with the cable kickdown brackets installed. Will probably try to pull the old 318 out of the Dart over the weekend......

Attachments

• 9-12-13 Trans s.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 465
Picked up the 727 trans and converter from JW Transmission on Monday. Here's the trans with the cable kickdown brackets installed. Will probably try to pull the old 318 out of the Dart over the weekend......

what stall speed is your converter going to be? what about rear gears? if its your sons first build like this i might be inclined to put a open diff. in the rear till he gets used to it.

what stall speed is your converter going to be? what about rear gears? if its your sons first build like this i might be inclined to put a open diff. in the rear till he gets used to it.

The converter was built to have a 2000 stall. The rear is a 3.23 8-3/4 with an Eaton True-Trac diff. He'll just have to take his time and learn slowly.....

-
Back