New Camera

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
Bought my first mirrorless camera, a Canon R3. Between the somewhat complex menus, some of the buttons being in different spots (a necessity) and my fat fingers there is a bit of a learning curve. I was at Renegade Raceway last weekend and used it for quite a while. Couple the articulating LCD screen with a table top tripod and a pair of radios for remote use and I am going to be able to shoot with the camera only about 5" from the track. The Vega wagon is a local young racer. Twin Turbo LS. AJ and his dad Mark are in the process of sorting it all out, they were there to get the chassis cert done and to start the license process for AJ...and start collecting data. Track was cold so traction was not real great but he managed a couple of 135mph passes with a very soft launch and only 5-7 pounds of boost. Car only weighs 3000 pounds with AJ in it. Power plant is pretty much what Mark was running, made over 1000 hp on a dyno with ease. AJ is going to be participating in the Redding Drive and Drag this year. Hoping that by the end of the year they have it sorted out. The slicks are only 8", but last year when they ran it on a bottle AJ managed to click off some very low 9 second passes before being told to slow it down so they are hopeful that they can get it to hook with the right amount of ramp etc.

R3ML7907.jpg

R3ML9058.jpg

I recently bought a 5D MkIV and almost wish I hadn't. I STILL don't have the menus/ etc down. This all started with a used 5D, and later a refurb MkII I decided around Christmas to get the MkIV because it seems Canon is leaning to discontinue them.

Believe it or not I was just the other day reading up on an R3.

No more than I do anymore, a guy has to wonder why LOL

I recently bought a 5D MkIV and almost wish I hadn't. I STILL don't have the menus/ etc down. This all started with a used 5D, and later a refurb MkII I decided around Christmas to get the MkIV because it seems Canon is leaning to discontinue them.

Believe it or not I was just the other day reading up on an R3.

No more than I do anymore, a guy has to wonder why LOL
I have read several articles about Canons DSLR bodies lately. I don't know if the articles were talking about all of the DSLR's or not but Canon has said that they will not be dropping the 1 DX Mark III any time soon. The author was quoting a Canon rep. Reason being is Canon does not want to force users into the mirror-less world. Suppose time will tell.
Menus on the higher end cameras can be confusing as hell. I have killed 2 fully charged batteries in the R3 trying to figure them out. Still have not turned on the eye focus stuff. Camera will focus on whatever I am looking at. Some of the menu items in the R3 are tucked into areas that make no sense to me.
I have Pocket Wizard radios so I can shoot remotely. I had them figured out last year. Set them up the same way at Renegade this weekend and they worked for about 15 minutes and then they did not. Spent several hours yesterday, no luck. Emailed them this morning, waiting to hear back from them. I did figure out how to make them work but how I had to set them up is not even close to what Pocket Wizard has told me to do...

-
Back