"New" car recommendations

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
It sounds like our family hauler ('13 mazda cx9) needs a new engine

Instead of dropping 10K into a car which afterwards would only be worth 8-9K, i figured i would update

The requirements are :
3rd row seating
Awd
V6
Sunroof
Heated seats
2016 and younger
50K miles or less
$20K or cheaper

Now, the wife does NOT want a van
She would approve of a dodge journey, which is on the top of my list

Others cars I'm considering are the hyundai palisade and the Kia telluride

Any suggestions on cars I'm overlooking ?

Well you can't get a Telluride or Palisade for 20 or cheaper. How about a Toyota Highlander or a Durango?

My wife bought a Buick Envision. It has a turbo'd 4 cylinder that scats, get's around 30 mpg/hwy. and ours has a lot of nice features. It is comfortable and fun to drive.

Well you can't get a Telluride or Palisade for 20 or cheaper. How about a Toyota Highlander or a Durango?
I'll take a look at the highlander

I like the looks of the durango, but the wife doesnt, and they get pricey quick

whatever happened to the days where kias and hyundais were affordable?
Traverse or Acadia?

No sir, I had an Acadia once
Worst vehicular investment I ever made, and I told myself I'm never buying a Chevy again

Yea the Kia and Hyundai (Telluride and Palisade) are status symbols right now. Too much!

My sister JUST got a New Ford Bronco Sport. It's a turbo 3 cylinder, but it's pretty spunky and so far they really like it.

I’d stay away from the Journey.

It‘s hard to go wrong with a Honda or a Toyota. Getting something a little older (for the Toyota or Honda) to stay within your price range is something to consider compared to getting a newer domestic car.

Yea the Kia and Hyundai (Telluride and Palisade) are status symbols right now. Too much!
They are also great cars. The 10yr warranty is worth something. I never would have bought a Hyundai 15, 20, 25, 30 years ago but I’d buy a newer one in a heartbeat.
VW and Subaru’s are status symbols and perhaps the Hyundai and KIA’s are but they are actually reliable cars too (unlike VW and Audi).

I think the under $20k, with under 50k miles is going to be hard, especially for a third row vehicle. I work for a GM dealer selling parts and I would never own a GM.

If you can wait a while I think you will see the market change dramatically. People got stupid during Covid and paid way too much ! Even the cheapskates were suddenly dying to buy a new car at any price . I can’t believe how many of my cheapskate customers called me for advice on buying ! They we’re fine with paying over retail ! 4 years ago they wouldn’t pay over invoice ! Weird …

I think the under $20k, with under 50k miles is going to be hard, especially for a third row vehicle. I work for a GM dealer selling parts and I would never own a GM.

yea thats a tough one in todays market.. if its under 20k then its probably one with not so good reliability reputation.

If you can wait a while I think you will see the market change dramatically. People got stupid during Covid and paid way too much ! Even the cheapskates were suddenly dying to buy a new car at any price . I can’t believe how many of my cheapskate customers called me for advice on buying ! They we’re fine with paying over retail ! 4 years ago they wouldn’t pay over invoice ! Weird …
I'm most likely going to hold out for a month or so
Winter is almost upon us, so I'll be driving the plow truck anyway, and banking on a Christmas bonus to make a decent down-payment

Living in Michigan, I'm not getting something too much older, I've seen what salt does to a vehicle

And I want to stay under 50k, it seems like they just don't make stuff to last anymore
That cx-9 is at 150k and on her 3rd set of rear wheel bearings

January is the worst month for car sales . But I dont think the whole market will move by then . My thinking is 1+ yrs and the market will drop substantially. Of course there weren’t many new car delivered in the last 2 yrs so that could screw my prognostications.

I’d stay away from the Journey.

It‘s hard to go wrong with a Honda or a Toyota. Getting something a little older (for the Toyota or Honda) to stay within your price range is something to consider compared to getting a newer domestic car.
got a reason for that?
i havent really heard anything bad about the journey, but the reason i started this post is because im willing to listen

January is the worst month for car sales . But I dont think the whole market will move by then . My thinking is 1+ yrs and the market will drop substantially. Of course there weren’t many new car delivered in the last 2 yrs so that could screw my prognostications.

I'm thinking all the folks that "over bought" paying way over MSRP is going to catch up with them and a lot of them will turn the car back to the bank. The dealers will then be buying back "used" cars from bank auctions.

My wife bought a Buick Envision. It has a turbo'd 4 cylinder that scats, get's around 30 mpg/hwy. and ours has a lot of nice features. It is comfortable and fun to drive.

My sister JUST got a New Ford Bronco Sport. It's a turbo 3 cylinder, but it's pretty spunky and so far they really like it.

best i can tell, niether one of these have a 3rd row option
now, on a side note, i was able to add a 3rd row to my 86 bronco pretty painlessly (and since i used e bench out of a Yukon, it even had seat belt build in) but that left about 1/4 of an inch of cargo room
and not sure i want to do that to a 3 year old truck

I'm most likely going to hold out for a month or so
Winter is almost upon us, so I'll be driving the plow truck anyway, and banking on a Christmas bonus to make a decent down-payment

Living in Michigan, I'm not getting something too much older, I've seen what salt does to a vehicle

And I want to stay under 50k, it seems like they just don't make stuff to last anymore
That cx-9 is at 150k and on her 3rd set of rear wheel bearings

The cost over value after replacing the engine will still be cheaper than financing in many cases..

If I was you, I wouldn't listen to me, but I'd probably do the replacement engine and all the wheel bearings and other related items vs financing at today's prices and rates.

I'm sure you've considered all angles, but figured I'd be the voice of dissent. Plus I hate all these new cars with their $30k worth of add-on doo dads and lack of visibility... But that's another topic.

Don't rule out the Honda Pilot either. Our '09 has been absolutely flawless. 175k miles on it now.

i am a dealer. That would be my pick.
Most of the modern Chrysler stuff is junk, especially when they get miles on them.
The Pilot, or a Toyota. Subaru doesn’t make a 3 seater that would fit the bill.
20k isn’t gonna buy a ton, but should be able to get a nice enough unit to serve you well for a few years.
Should be able to get a 2014 or so EX-L with well under a 100k at your price point. If you don’t need leather , etc,maybe even a bit newer

Fiat 500x

My cousin is a fiat guy and the 500x is a very overlooked crossover model and fiats suffer from a perception that lags behind reality. They are very well built and have a ton of features not commonly seen in average cars.

-
Back