New Carb Suggestions - 360

-

DA4AD

Reaction score
I have a healthy 360 with fresh rebuild by someone else.
looking to replace the existing Holley carb as the front bowl bolts are stripped and it leaks fuel at the front. The car came with an electric Holley fuel pump which I have since removed to install mechanical.

Existing carb is a Holley 4150 80509 with a 1" spacer plate for accesories (power brakes, EGR), from what I found it is a 830 cfm.

Motor/car specs are as follows;
- .030 360 block.
- 10:1 compression.
- Camshaft Kit, CRS XR274R-10 (Solid Roller Lifter, Duration:Intake-274, Exhaust-280, Duration @ .050" Lift:Intake-236, Exhaust-242).
- Mopar High Rise Single Plane Intake with W-2 ports (p4532155).
- W2 Heads.
- Full MSD Ignition.
- TTI Headers w/ Full 3" Exhaust and Hooker Areo Chamber Mufflers.
- 4 Speed Standard Trans.
- 8-3/4 Diff w/ 4:10 Sure Grip & Pinion Snubber.

I only need a new carb to use short term as I will be selling this motor and installing a 340 (factory 340 car) in the future, this motor will be sold and I will be installing the fuel injected Six Pac set up.

I personally feel the 830 cfm carb is to big for this motor. don't know why it's even on there (not a very street-able motor).
I am looking at the Holley Ultra Double Pumper, 750 cfm, Square Bore, 4-Barrel, Mechanical, Electric Choke, Aluminum (E-bay Item number: 230955424292) OR Ultra Street Avenger, 670 cfm, Square Bore, 4-Barrel, Vacuum, Electric Choke, Aluminum (E-bay Item number: 400445349639
).

Opinions?

I'd use the Ultra if you want the choke. If not, the 750hp. They both cost the same and since your looking to sell the engine, i'd look for a used unit to save a few bucks.

An 830 is not too big for that. I believe it's the same basic deal as a proform mainbodied 750.

A 750 DP would be a good choice, wouldn't bother with vacuum secondary junk.

Get the tune up right and it will be fine as long as it's a good baseline/running carb.

I will give it a couple of more days to see what people think but I it looks like a 750 CFM DP.

Not a fan of vacuum secondary, not even a choice on that duration, IMO.

That's a big HP engine. W2 is a nice way for ^^^ on compression and quench. Good choice.

I spent two weekends set up at our booth at Mopars at the Strip in Vegas. Both times, we were right next door to Bruce and his crew, who makes those Six Pack Injection systems. He was running them with his Jensen Interceptor. You will not be dissapointed with that setup. Bruce knows his business. He used to make valves for plumbing and understands injection design like nobody I've ever met. Super nice guy and fun to BS with. That is money well spent.

Yes, Bruce seams like an awesome guy on the phone, I have sent him my six pac intake to get the FI bungs welded on.
I just hate spending $500.00 on a carb!

I really like the Holley Ultra Super Street 750 double pump carbs with choke. They seem to be easier to tune than the regular 4779 750 Double Pumpers on my race car.

If swapping out the engine eventually, have you considered a good used 750 DP to hold you over instead of spending the extra $?

You also can easily fix the bowl screw threads with the proper heli-coil kit. I've done it many times for myself as well as racers at the track.

If you hate spending $500 on a carb, tune the one you have. For $500, you could buy a wideband sensor and tune it right and still have lots of money in your pocket!

Pro-billet distributor, make sure it has the black advance limiter bushing on it.

+1
Heli-coil type repair and you're done with a lot less hassle and cost. Holley blue gaskets and you may be donegood enough for your current purposes depending on well the previous owner had it set up.

A used carb is a good back up plan if this current engine is just a distraction on the way to your real goal.

I will give it a couple of more days to see what people think but I it looks like a 750 CFM DP.

Like stated the carb you have is fine. If you don't know how to tune it, a NEW Carb is NOT going to fix your problem either.

Pick your parts pay your $$.

I've thought of going used and/or fixing this one, but i don't want the headaches created when other "mechanics" have had their fingers in there.
If I start with a new carb I know what I have and a good starting point.
Right now I'm just looking for responses in CFM size.

Crackedback - Need more info on the Pro-billet distributor, make sure it has the black advance limiter bushing on it. Are you referring to the advance stop bushing?
I had a look at my MSD stuff;
Dist - P/N 8534
Coil - 8223
Box - 6AL

That engine will eat up every bit of a the 830 carb you currently have. I have one with less head and cam running a 950 or larger. Those calculators, if you used one, are great for finding the smallest carb to use IMO. That's not a taxi cab engine. :)

Pin gauges or drill bits can help you out to determine what you have and whether someone has monkeyed with a metering block. If the Idle feed restrictors or emulsion bleeds aren't messed with it's tough to screw them up.

Distributor, on the bottom side of plate where the rotor screws down, there is a pin/nut with a bushing. Make sure that bushing is black. There are red, blue and silver IIRC.

Check the MSD site and download the instructions for your 8534 distributor. That will give you a visual.

Thanks Crackedback. I looked on there website and seen just what you are talking about. I will take of the cap and check it out.
The other reason I don't want to fix this thing is the new 750 DP has all the accessory ports I need so I can junk that spacer.

That motor is running 12.5 :1 venolias .. cam is a comp CRS 310c-r6 duration at .020 is 310 intake 312 exhaust .627/.638 lift . don't run straight pump gas in it and don't wind her out without the electric fuel pump...

how much do you want for it ?

I just saw the for sale ad ....listing the motor mods on the rebuild. Looks like the owner before you had the engine civilized...lol, I would double check the cam and compression just to be safe.

That's gonna be a nice interim carb.......Too pretty to sell :-D. Throw the 830 back on when it's time to let the 360 go.

matches the car too..B5...

Too bad to hear about someone blowin up the old motor. That mutha really scooted !
Scared the living bijeezuz out of more than one passenger ! lol....

I spared little expense on parts and machine work... Stroker kits were a rarity when I built it... would have been scary with 426 cubes !

That's gonna be a nice interim carb.......Too pretty to sell :-D. Throw the 830 back on when it's time to let the 360 go.

Ya, probably will.
When I'm ready I will try and sell it as a package,
- Motor, heads, intake , carb
- Headers, full 3" exhaust.
Problem is I need to find out whats in it first!

-
Back