New engine pics!!!

-

metallidart

member me?
Reaction score
I got some pics...finally...of my new engine! Well, its not new, but its new to me. Here are the details:
1970 340 block, bored/platehoned, decked, align-bored, main studs/hughes girdle, sonic checked/magnafluxed, extensive oiling mods (as per previous owner), and bushed lifter bores.
The rotating assembly consists of a forged 4" Scat crank, Eagle H-beam rods, and JE pistons. Pistons are flat-tops, and its all balanced.
Also came with a deep Moroso pan/pickup, and a Cloyes tru-roller timing set to match the moved crank centerline from the machine work.
The heads are Indy CNC 245 rectangle port aluminum. I got these used also, and I need to put different springs/retainers/locks on them as someone put smaller ones on it than I need. The valves are 2.14/1.65, and the chambers are 65cc, and I think I will end up with about 11.5-11.7:1. All I have so far is what you see...obviously, I got alot more to get, but, I think I'm off to a good start, especially since I'm under $3500!!! Btw, the bearings, cylinders, etc all look good in the engine, and it has less than 50 passes on it. The heads just had a new valve job, etc done on them. I also have a set of Hooker Super Comp 1 3/4" headers, and an 850 double pumper.
0012.jpg

Congratulations :tongue9: I have not felt so happy for some one in this space of time in a long time & I have jealousy and happiness at the same time :-D
You must be very proud and can see the dream coming true :cheers:

Thanks everyone!! I feel pretty darn lucky finding this stuff. And memike, I'm jealous of your Valiant!! I have my 66 and its nothing like yours. Everytime I want to give up on it, I see pics of yours, or Caseys, or the few others on here, and I decide I'm gonna build it someday too! Honestly, this engine is like a dream come true, I've been planning it for years but I never really thought it would come to fruition. I want to get my Lunati Voodoo solid roller next, and the gaskets/bolts to button up the bottom end. Then, I will work on the rest of the valvetrain, intake, etc. Once its bolted in and running, I'm sure I'll find the rest of the weak links in my drivetrain.

nice! those indyheads ports sure look huge compared to the tiny ports the smallblock mopar has stock

Thats what I was just showing my 10 year old son tonight, trying to get him interested in cars a little more, showing him the difference between those and the x-heads I was going to use. I cannot believe the size difference! I think this engine might scare me lol.

Decided to do a little update on this thread. I ended up with a Crane cam that I sent to Bullet, solid roller .604/.600, 245/[email protected]. Now have Edelbrock heads that I will have the guides/valvejob done, correct springs/retainers, and some porting. Crane Gold rockers, Edelbrock Victor 340, Fluidamper. I can't wait!
DSCF1320.jpg

Thanks!! I didn't sell them, I traded them for alot of the parts I needed, including the Edelbrock heads. I started to realize they may be a little overkill for a car that goes to the dragstrip maybe once a year, and I just won't have the cash for the indy rockers/intake/etc for a long, long time. I figured I'd be just as happy with a set of ported edelbrocks, smaller cam, etc. I just wanna cruise with the fiance and the kids!!

With that much compression you will be criusing with race gas unless the nedw heads have more chamber. Nice engine. I loved those Indy heads.

I was worried about that too!! They are the 340 heads that are machined for the above-deck pistons. I'm going to do some slight unshrouding in the chamber also, since my bore is 4.1, so hopefully that will help the hp and lower my compression too. I think I can get it down to 11 or so. Heck, gas is so expensive, I'll even mess with the timing if I have to! The guy that had my shortblock ran edelbrocks and indys on it, and he said he ran pump gas with no problem. But, his cam was in the [email protected] range, I'm sure that bled off a little pressure. I hope I don't have to run race gas.

Airwoofer, what compression are you running? The pistons are JE flattops.

A quick and probably dumb question.

On the Indy heads, what are the ~3 bosses with thru holes hanging off the edge of block for? They are below the exhaust headers. Do factory heads have the same? I haven't taken the heads or headers off my SB yet, and haven't noticed those.

A quick and probably dumb question.

On the Indy heads, what are the ~3 bosses with thru holes hanging off the edge of block for? They are below the exhaust headers. Do factory heads have the same? I haven't taken the heads or headers off my SB yet, and haven't noticed those.
Those could be for a R3 race block.I,m just guessing..:sad11:

-
Back