New engine/transmission start up

-

DWinTX

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have finished building my first engine and transmission. It's a 318 poly stroker (349 c.i.) and 727 with a Transgo TF-2. I am going to break it in on an engine stand. Being my first build, I being realistic that I'll probably have some issue to deal with, even if it's just a leak. I want to be able to fix it outside the car so it's easier to get to.

My question is mainly about the transmission. I know what to do to prep the engine for it's first start, but is there anything I need to do specifically for the trans other than fill the TC and get the fluid to the correct level? I used Assembly Goo on all of the friction surfaces and transmission fluid in the valve body and governor. I'll have it in neutral so the pump is going, although I think I read that the TF-2 causes the pump to operate in park as well.

Does the throttle linkage need to be hooked up? I'll have to run the engine in for 20 minutes at 2000-2500 rpm to break the cam in. I know it's not good to run a 727 w/o the throttle linkage, but does it matter with no load in neutral? Any advice I can get is much appreciated.

Oh, one other thing. Do you guys lift your engines with a manifold plate when you have an aluminum manifold? It would be much easier to use one, but it makes me nervous with aluminum.

I prefer to use a tilter and bolt to the heads.. use grade 5 hardware and put a washer or two between the lift flange and the head - this will help keep the chain away from the engine.. if you have access to a set of valve covers that are "expendable" - put 'em on there... the chain can trash valve covers especially when you get to a good tilt..

Thanks Mike. I don't think I'll use the manifold either. Don't have any spare covers, but I'll figure something out.

Lifted many engines/transmission with a carb plate. As long as the threads are good in your intake, not an issue. One of those bolts/studs can hold up the ENTIRE engine/trans.

If you have a mechanical fuel pump. Go to your local pharmacy and get a kids liquid medicine syringe. You can fill the carb through the vent tube to get fuel in there. You don't want the engine cranking to fill the bowls.

Throttle position linkage to trans doesn't matter as you correctly noted, no load.

Last edited:
-
Back