New guy in middle GA

-

SlantSicknessDart63

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I'm a born and bred Mopar guy. My first car was a 76 dart sedan with the slant six. The car was an absolute POS, but I absolutely loved her. She tried to kill me a couple of times. It was a very love/hate relationship. We ended up selling her for parts to a guy building a 67 swinger. It was a sad day, but she was well past her prime and ready for pasture.

Now I have a 63 Dart GT convertible roller with a later model 318 to stuff in her. Gizmo needs a bit of work but she has great bones. I would love to put a slant back in her, but it's not in the cards at the moment.

Challenges at the moment include engine mounts for the 318, trans mount for the A500, attaching the push button to the trans, figuring out the parking brake lever, and finding a drive shaft that'll fit the longer trans.

The goal is to have her highwy ready by late September to go to a cruise in my home town of Upper Sandusky, OH. I know it's a bit lofty with two small kids at home, but it's something to shoot for.

This is my first build, so any insight or help would be much appreciated. At the moment, I can't afford to throw money at the problems, so junk yard and hillbilly engineering solutions are best.

It's nice to meet everyone. I love to talk, but it may take a bit to get back. Work and family keeps me on my toes most of the time. So feel free to hit me up if you want to talk.

Jonathan

Welcome.
You will find a wealth of info and so many knowledgable and caring people on this site. Use the advanced search engine also for info specific!

Welcome from Texas, you are going to find that the 63 firewall is going to interfere with the distributor. When I put a 273 in my 63 Dart, I used a 64 K member and a bit of sledge hammer surgery to get the clearance I needed.

Welcome to FABO from up Rome, GA way.

4 or 5 years ago a group of Georgia FABO members had a meet and greet at Summit in McDonough. Good times!
IMG_20191116_142205.jpg

HI Jonathan. I'm in Jones County. Demonracer's right about the firewall. The 63 didn't have a V8 option and the firewall was made such that the distributor in a small block would hit it. You can do the sledge hammer surgery, but If I'm not mistaken, you nave to relocate the wiper motor too, because that bulge is where it is. Good luck and post some pictures. We love pictures.

Hello everyone. Thanks for the warm welcome.

I figured the distributor was going to be an issue, just based on its location on the engine. I've read about relocating the wiper motor but didn't know why. Thanks for that clarification.

Has anyone tried to offset the mounts to move the engine forward? I'm not sure how it would affect everything else, but it would alleviate the interference issues. Just a thought.

Welcome to the Forum. You are located right close to several very knowledgeable members. Reach out and take the time to meet them. You will not be disappointed. Many of us have been in each others shops. It is always a hoot and a great time. A few hours drive and a bond that becomes unbreakable. This site has that kind of folks.

Welcome aboard, great folks, and super members here.
Northeast Arkansas myself

HI Jonathan. I'm in Jones County. Demonracer's right about the firewall. The 63 didn't have a V8 option and the firewall was made such that the distributor in a small block would hit it. You can do the sledge hammer surgery, but If I'm not mistaken, you nave to relocate the wiper motor too, because that bulge is where it is. Good luck and post some pictures. We love pictures.
Does the B motor that is 383 400 not work as far as distributor goes?
Only time I need wipers is if it rains! I just stay home!

-
Back