New Here, '65 Valiant.

-

parrainx

Reaction score
Hello all,

I picked up a '65 Valiant two weeks ago and found this forum, i will try not to annoy with too many questions.

My name is Dmitri and i'm originally from Russia, currently living in San Francisco. I haven't had a car to tinker with for almost 5 years been riding bikes since i moved here.

I got a full time job and i go to school full time, so i don't have a lot of time to work on it, but i want to get it driving by summer.

Here's some photos of the car and the state that its in right now.

01.jpg

02.jpg

04.jpg

03.jpg

I trailered it home. Brakes frozen, no driveshaft.

I may start a build thread so i can share more info.

I never fixed up an old car before, but i had experience with a bike.

Its a '82 Honda 450
02-1.jpg

01-1.jpg

I am close by in Sacramento, with a 64 Valiant and 65 Dart, so I bracket you. Your car is the most desirable body, the "2 door post", since the vertical post to the roof stiffens the body. Otherwise, yours is the basic model w/ bench seats and slant six engine, and probably the smaller 9" brakes. Your automatic is preferred to a 3-spd manual and people desire your manual steering today (to clear headers in a V-8).

You can upgrade yours to a V-8 much easier than later years, but I would keep the slant (have one), especially with gas prices going up. I would convert to electronic ignition. Somebody may have already done so since I see they upgraded to the later 2-wire alternator. You have the 70's square-top radiator. The early round-top ones tend to split a seam at the top. Yours is missing a side bracket. You will find much info by searching this site.

Nice bike. Looks like you made a classic early 70's twin (w/ front drum) into a cafe racer.

I am close by in Sacramento, with a 64 Valiant and 65 Dart, so I bracket you. Your car is the most desirable body, the "2 door post", since the vertical post to the roof stiffens the body. Otherwise, yours is the basic model w/ bench seats and slant six engine, and probably the smaller 9" brakes. Your automatic is preferred to a 3-spd manual and people desire your manual steering today (to clear headers in a V-8).

You can upgrade yours to a V-8 much easier than later years, but I would keep the slant (have one), especially with gas prices going up. I would convert to electronic ignition. Somebody may have already done so since I see they upgraded to the later 2-wire alternator. You have the 70's square-top radiator. The early round-top ones tend to split a seam at the top. Yours is missing a side bracket. You will find much info by searching this site.

Nice bike. Looks like you made a classic early 70's twin (w/ front drum) into a cafe racer.

Thanks,

Yea i'm keeping the 6 in there, just planning to cruise.

Welcome to the site:cheers:
You will find a lot of info and help here.
C

Nice little car there parrainx, looks like a fun car to enjoy. And welcome to FABO too by the way!! Ask questions, we have no problem with that!! Heck, we may even know the answer to some of them!!!LOL!! Geof

Welcome to FABO Parrainx!

You will enjoy this site - There are lots of great people and information

Ma Snart

My 67 Cuda for your viewing pleasure - more pictures in my gallery

Attachments

• WOW Drver Side Rear 3 QTR.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 144
Welcome! Tune-up parts and technique suggestions in this thread. The engine needs periodic careful valve adjustment. Carburetor operation and repair manuals and links to training movies and carb repair/modification threads are posted here for free download. Make sure to get appropriate service manuals as soon as you can.

Thank you for the links. I bought factory repair manual for '65 plymouths.

Welcome to the greatest car site in the world. :cheers:

-
Back