New here

-

Chub380

Reaction score
Hello all ,new to the forum excited to try to start learning about something out of my comfort zone. My daughter has been saving for her first car for a couple years and she chose a 72 dart this is out of my comfort zone because all I’ve had for the last 35 years are Chevy square body’s. All that to say I’m super excited about this project that her and I can work on. The first items we are going to order is pertronix ignition and wires and cap. The car is in pretty good shape as it was always here in Montana one thing thst is baffling me is when you start it it will sit there and purr like a kitten idling then 5-10 min it will shut off cold. Might of had water in the gas and the tank was almost empty when I got it put non ethanol premium in it when we picked it up. Any suggestions on the shutting off problem?

Could be the ballast resister, or the ECM if it has electronic ignition.

Could be the ballast resister, or the ECM if it has electronic ignition.
The first thing we are getting is an electronic kit, don’t know a lot about this but my one neighbor said it wouldn’t idle for 5-10 min with a bad ballast resister if this isn’t true I’ll pick one up tomorrow pretty cheap part i was thinking it wouldn’t start at all with a bad resister thanks for the response

ballast resistors get hot by design. The hotter they get the more resistance they produce. This is to drop voltage to coil and preserve the points, so when it shuts off, quickly test the continuity of the ballast resistor across the 2 opposite pins. If they measure OL or 999Mohms, its an open resistor. Bypass it and it will start again.

ballast resistors get hot by design. The hotter they get the more resistance they produce. This is to drop voltage to coil and preserve the points, so when it shuts off, quickly test the continuity of the ballast resistor across the 2 opposite pins. If they measure OL or 999Mohms, its an open resistor. Bypass it and it will start again.

I’ll try that tomorrow thanks, nice thing is we still have 2/1/2 years to get the bugs worked out, I’ll try to post a pic

EB6C0012-A14F-4DB6-99F6-F06B61B6027F.jpeg

EE0F6E3E-3C2A-4FC5-8F99-A878D3EDFBA3.jpeg

I've said it many times, 72 Dart is one of the best mopar grilles going. Solid looking car and beautiful shop too.

Great looking car and a very nice color. Your daughter has excellent taste. Welcome aboard and good luck with the project.

Great looking car and a very nice color. Your daughter has excellent taste. Welcome aboard and good luck with the project.
Thanks I’ll grab that resister and give it a shot tomorrow.

Welcome to you & your daughter from Texas. I hope you get a lot of father/daughter bonding time while getting it ready for her.

-
Back