New Hot Start issue. Suggestions please. Now What?

-

my5thmopar

Life Long MOPAR Owner
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Since I got great advice for my first hot start issue. http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=172483

I thought I would try again. After shutting the engine off for 10-15 minutes it is hard to start. The starter/engine turns over consistently hot and cold now but...The engine takes 4-5 seconds to start. I have tried to pump the accelerator, hold it half way, and floor it. It seems I get the same results.

The ignition was changed to Pertronix II with new Flamethrower II coil. The cap, wires and distributor are the same before rebuild. I'm running about 10 degree btdc. The carb throat seems dry and I do get gas if I pump the accelerator.

Do i need more advance if so, I'm guessing I need to check the total. I don't have the timing tape to do that nor do I know what the total should be. Troubleshooting suggestions please. Craig

Update below and looking for more help.

sounds like the carb is leaking fuel into the intake manifold when you stop if its a thermoquad check the two rubber o rings inside the carb if these are cracked small block chevvvvy valve seals work fine

Does the carb still have gas in it after sitting for 15 min? Might be evaporating out from hot intake heat rising up.? Jayson

Turn the initial up to about 15* and try starting it. As long as the engine cranks without kicking back or struggling, add some initial to the engine.

An easy deal to do is get it warmed up, and feed timing into it at idle. If it picks up RPM, the engine wants the timing. Reset idle rpm and do it again. You'll hit a point where it won't pick up much if any rpm. You found the sweet spot and shut it off. If it starts with the timing, leave it and adjust mechanical to hit your desired total number. If it struggles/kickbacks, turn the distribrutor clockwise a bit until it starts without struggling.

Ede's are known for boiling off fuel when hot. Your situation seems a bit extreme.

99% of every hot start issue i have ever had has been carburetor/fuel related.whether it was flooding, hot fuel boil, excessive fuel pressure or lack of , and/or a choke/mixture problem. it doesnt take a whole helluva lot of under hood heat to get the fuel boiling or to hot to fire right away. like crackedback says, get your timing in its sweet spot, then go after your carburetor/fuel system. just another thought lol.

Like cracked said, timing first. Then check for empty bowls, or gas laying all over the intake floor.

Ede's are known for heat soak issues. If this is the problem add a phenolic spacer, and make sure fuel lines are away from hot exhaust ect. Had the same symptoms, added a phenolic spacer, problem solved.

Modern gas percolates and boils over causing the engine to flood after being shut down for a short amount of time. When shut down over long periods of time the fuel just evaporates resulting in an empty bowl. Eddie carbs are notorious for this. These gaskets help a lot. I used one when I ran an Eddie carb and they made a huge difference. Blocking off heat to intake manifold helps a lot too.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-9266/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-9265/

Modern gas percolates and boils over causing the engine to flood after being shut down for a short amount of time. When shut down over long periods of time the fuel just evaporates resulting in an empty bowl. Eddie carbs are notorious for this. These gaskets help a lot. I used one when I ran an Eddie carb and they made a huge difference. Blocking off heat to intake manifold helps a lot too.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-9266/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-9265/

I run the 9266 on my 360. Works great for heat, also works great for hood clearance.

I adjusted the initial timing to 16 btdc and seems to start quicker now. How do you determine what the initial and total "should" be?

crackedback I see what you're saying about adjusting timing....I don't think I followed your directions correctly. when i did this, engine kept taking timing up to 35-40 initial. So would the timing go back down when the idle was adjusted again?

Is this how everybody does it on a stock engine. How do I go about doing this? Stock distributor and comp XE256. I read a few different articles but, still unsure what to do.

FYI, I bought the Edelbrock 9266 and will try it next.

Thanks Craig

Bring initial up, keep starting it, or use a vacuum gauge or just a rpm meter; when best vac, or rpm; see if it will start correctly. Kicking back- retard timing until it starts correctly.

Now, you have changed your total advance, and need to pull that change out of the dist. If you have oem, it involves welding slots. I just bought an adjustable Mallory, to get out of the trial and error.

Just a thought, If you want to mark your damper like a timing tape does follow these steps.

1 find TRUE TDC on your engine
2 mark your damper with a sharpie or fine paint pen at the 0 degree mark.
3 Turn your engine OPPOSITE the correct rotation of the engine five degree marks
4 mark your damper with your sharpie/paint pen at the 0 degree mark
5 repeat steps 3 and 4 for how ever many degrees you want on your damper(Your marks will be in five degree increments)

Now you have a degree marked damper, if you want you can line the marks you made up with your timing cover (you will know what I am talking about if you did the above steps) and make some smaller 1 degree marks with the larger marks as the 5 degree increments.

If you do all that then you just have to use the 0 mark on the timing cover as a pointer and read your timing number off the damper.

All of this is assuming that you have a good damper. One way to check that is to paint a stripe from the middle of the damper all the way to the edge, If the line ever gets all whacked out your damper is sliding around the rubber ecentric. Then you need to replace the damper.

Sorry for being a now it all, but i do this to all my engines and It makes life MUCH easier and improves the enjoyment of tuning for me.

Dragonbat13 thanks for the tip. I made the marks as you suggested. Now I can rev to 2500 rpm and see the total timing at about 42. At idle 650 rpm I get 16. Does this sound right?

I'm still not sure what I'm missing. Is there a direct correlation between the idle speed and the timing? If so I should keep increasing the timing, reset idle, start and do it again?

Dragonbat13 thanks for the tip. I made the marks as you suggested. Now I can rev to 2500 rpm and see the total timing at about 42. At idle 650 rpm I get 16. Does this sound right?

I'm still not sure what I'm missing. Is there a direct correlation between the idle speed and the timing? If so I should keep increasing the timing, reset idle, start and do it again?

42 is way to much timing.
Small blocks run well between 12 initial and 34-36 total.
Disconect your vacuum advance line if you have one connected,at the carb.
Plug the carb port.
Warm motor.
Adjust your RPM between 600-800 mild motor or 1000-1100 with a HP cam.
Set your initial at 12 btdc
Rev car up between 2500-3000 and see what your mechanical is.
Depending on how much advance is built into the dist you should be around 34-36.
See how she runs. This is a basic setting. Trying to keep it simple.
Re-Vist the RPM's..Make sure it is 600-800 or 1000-1100.

My 2 cents. Leave it at 16 for initial if it runs well, starts when hot, and tailor the curve/mechanical advance to hit your total number.

Looks like he has about 26 degrees built into his dist. 42 total minus 16 initial = 26
If I'm looking at this right if he sets his initial at 12 btdc plus the 26deg built in,should put him right around 38deg total. No money out of pocket. Good place to start.

Heres another way:
Start at 12 btdc take it for a drive. Run good ?
Set it at 14 btdc. Run good ?
Keep going up with your initial.
Eventually it will start pinging, thats when you back it down.
Still think right around 12 btdc will be the best place to start.

No vacuum advance. 16 initial 36 total. I have been through this in several threads. The factory older distributors are fixed timing advance. the newer distributors are adjustable. On the fixed older distributors there are two way to go. Either way you want 20 degrees total no more. You can never achieve that without closing the slots with weld or having an adjustable slot in a new one.

When you are checking for total it is exactly what it defines Total. Not what it is at a certain RPM. Total is Total amount of travel and should be in at. At least but not before 2500 rpm's

Another words if you total is 36 at 2500 it should not keep going up with RPM's. The reason for your total being in at that RPM is so you do not exceed over 36 over that RPM. Once you have your total which should be set first. Let it come to idle It should not go less than 16. If your motor likes a total of 35 initial should be 15. So 20 degrees is the number of travel you are looking for. This can be confirmed by MSD built in initial on their digital systems. It is 20 degrees. That's the number that works in all applications without failure. example 38-18, 37-17, 36-16, 35-15, 34-14 and so on.

The reason the slots are so large on a stock distributor the mechanical advance has a large slotted stop spring used in conjunction with the vacuum advance. This is used for fuel economy. When no throttle is applied at cruising speeds the timing is controlled by both giving the motor and easer free running combustion so the firing doesn't try and force the piston down before it reaches the top. Or to late that it loses the compression for power out of the atomization of the fuel.

So if you have change the camshaft in your motor. You are changing the over lap of the valves in relation to one another. This reflects on the cylinder pressure for combustion and the vacuum signal used for the factory advance. I know the advance is adjustable through the vacuum port with an allen screw. But unless you have a distributor machine or get lucky you shouldn't even play with it .

All factory distributors have different vacuum advances. you will see the vacuum apply inches stamped on the arm of the advance. 318 2bbl is 11.0, 340 4bbl is 8.5. all early performance distributors from DC, or mopar perf. are 8.5 . these are to be used with factory spec motors or Mopar cams with the correct calibrated comp.

I will try and tell you how to correct this problem your having if it is Dist related. If it is retarded to far at initial it will not start easy.

The slots in the distributor should be welded up or you can just do one they work together. If you weld up one it will stop both. They are 1/2 inch weld them to 3/8 this will give you 20 total from what ever initial. Initial is first when the distributor is not spinning and the it achieves total when spinning. But when setting a distributor you want to set total first not initial. Total is more important. If this is not correct it will cause damage to the motor. Never and I mean never should the total be over 38 and that is with premium fuel.

When welding the distributor slot you can weld the outside or the inside depending what springs you are going to use and how fast you want your total in. this is determined by cranking pressure do to cam , piston choice and fuel.

For example I have a very large cam in my motor so I do not have much Idle pressure so my distributor is locked. But I have a MSD with a built in retard feature. My timing is set at 35 that is my total and also my initial at idle is 35. But when I shut my car off it automatically retards 20 and goes to 15 when I am restarting the motor. The box keeps it ay 15 until it starts and then lets go at 800 RPM's allowing My initial at idle and my total to be locked at 35. But for starting the motor it is at 15.

Now back to the slots . When I weld up the slots I weld up the inside If I am using the two light springs from mopar. This puts tension on the springs and stops the motor from going in and out of total at idle. If you ever here a motor going up and down at an idle constantly this is the cause . Timing going in and out because of timing springs to light. A lot of guys that just install light springs have this problem . Some guys especially with blowers think this is cool.. Total usually comes in at 2000 this way. weld the outside its in at about 12-15. My usual method for a customers dist, Is weld up the outside and use one light mopar spring and leave the medium spring in This allows total to be in at around 2500 and if your motor wants a quicker total you can just take out the light spring.

1. remove vacuum hose
2. Set your total. Never more than 38 degrees. and should be done at 2500 take it higher if it moves springs are to heavy
3. check your initial It should drop 20 under total at Idle. if more slots to large
4 If you like fuel economy over performance hook the vacuum up.

or if you like the hose you bought being hooked up so it looks Nice plug the hose with something .

Hope I didn't miss anything . .I know there will be guys with their own opinions and won't agree because this isn't how their car is. and theirs is just perfect. I am going on 57 and have been doing these since just after birth . On my cars you can reach in tap the key and its off and running . If it cranks once your lucky. Sound like an electric motor up in RPM's. Good luck and hope you enjoyed the book..

I highly modified and installed a VW Beatle pro-comp Distributor. Just so I could use a Boost Master, MSD 6al , Methanol inj., and Blower on a 2.2 Omni,

I believe I have a Mopar distributor from my Duster here. It has a lean burn plate and vacuum block plate and is adjustable . It is set up for 20 at 2500 if anyone is interested. I went to a roller bearing MSD for extreme RPM's . Steve

Yes I enjoyed the book! Thanks Oldmanmopar. I think I understand the process here. This is where I’m at with the hot start issue. Carb now has spacer and hot start is better, occasionally I have to hold accelerator to floor or just let it crank a little longer. The good thing is it does start every time. I’m still trying to figure this timing thing out. I have a new distributor that I’m going to adjust. My engine is 1972-318, flat top eyebrow 30 over and Comp XE256, stock dizzy with Pertronix Ignitor II. I started at 14 btdc and was going to tune and lock distributor. I set idle at 700 rpm. Vacuum plugged. I turned distributor until I got max vacuum at 20". Lowered Idle back to 700 and ended up at 30-32 degrees advance. I have checked balancer with piston stop. I also checked it during assembly with a dial indicator. The balancer is less than 1 degree off. The engine turns over with no kick back and idles well even at 30-30 initial....I don't understand.... When run the rpms up 2500-3k the advance increases another 30 degree to about 60 at balancer. My stock distributor has 30 degree mechanical built in. If I understand the schooling...then I just forget all this. Weld slots to 15 mechanical advances, set total to 30-32, idle it down and it stays there. If it doesn’t ping or kickback leave it? Or what did I miss?

Pretty good. Yes weld up the inside part of the slots and get about 17-18* in the distributor and set initial at 16*. You should be pretty safe right there. It should start easily. IMO, It's best to have the engine tell you what it wants and not pick a number. Usually SB mopars like anywhere from 12-20 initial, sometimes more depending on cam. Yours is milder so the 12-16 range is pretty safe.

When you do the turn in timing deal, you reset the idle every time you bump the timing up. So if it picks up, you turn it back down to 700 or whatever. Bump timing, reset idle speed, look at gauge, if it's higher do again. I usually don't use the max vacuum number, I back it down 1" from the high point. So find the high point, then back off timing reset idle speed so you hit the max -1 vacuum number.

I've also have done it where I didn't care how much vacuum was there, just as long as the starter didn't kick back.

Another thing to consider. If you don't have enough advance, exhaust temps go up and can make the boiling off issue worse.

Appears you have a decent handle on it. Nice job and have fun!

-
Back