New Idler Arm Binding

-

smartken22

U.S. Navy Senior Chief
Reaction score
I am in the process of re-building the front end of my Duster and when I installed the new idler arm (Moog), I noticed it is really tight to move back and forth in the K-member. Is this normal since it is new or do I need to put a thinner spacer on the bottom. Right now it has the two foam spacers and one washer spacer installed. The idler bolt has not been tightened down yet so I know thats not the issue. Thanks for the help.

OK I removed the idler arm to see what was going on and found that the piece going through the middle does not move at all. Is this supposed to roll or does it stay stationary? Here are some pics of the item in question. Thanks.

Attachments

• 2011-12-23_16-21-02_303.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 255
  • 2011-12-23_16-21-09_302.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 231
Try some grease in that zerk fitting and then see if it moves easier. I have a 67, that uses a different attachment. It's a tapired pin.

It will be stiff if it is new. Tighten it up . It will pivot on the sleave. as it breaks in it will loosen up. When it gets to loose then its junk. The tighter the better. Keep it greased.

It is held stationary by the bolt clenching down. See the grease fitting? Turns in the bushing.

I think I am getting confused. Here is the bushing I am talking about with the arrow pointed to it. This piece does not move at all. I would think with the grease fitting on that, it would. Or does the whole arm rotate on the bolt?

Attachments

• 2011-12-23_16-21-09_302.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 218
That sleeve is captive by the nut, it rotates in the cast arm but you wont be able to turn it outside of an install as it is very stiff. It is pregreased so itll move with the steering attached, but tight is right, you dont want it loose. Probably a poly bushing in there.

..............That bushing does not move when the center bolt is tight.......the arm moves on the bushing......grease it up good while u clamp the bushing in the vice, then work the arm back and forth.....kim........

-
Back