New Mancini Timing Cover Fitment Issue

-
I tried it with a placeholder gasket and prying the cover down from both water-jackets it was just off to get a bolt started.
I think if I just shave a bit it will fit. everything else looks to align and the crankshaft does center in the front seal.

Well see after I shave it with a grinder.
You shouldn't have to grind anything. Like others said, I'd be on the phone with Mancini and see what they had to say.

You shouldn't have to grind anything. Like others said, I'd be on the phone with Mancini and see what they had to say.
He got on phone with Mancini and they said its a reproduced part and they don't know anything about anything other then you get what you get and it is what it is.

He got on phone with Mancini and they said its a reproduced part and they don't know anything about anything other then you get what you get and it is what it is.
Yes sir, that was pretty much the response from them. No tech was available to talk to.

I did follow up today with a winded email, including this thread and full information and photos.

I did state the cover is not a direct replacement for a 71-72 318 LA OEM 2951698 COVER and would machine shop work to fit correctly.

It would be good to have them adjust the information a bit.
May work, May not.
LOL

I did call Mancini. They stated it is a direct fit from original molds but "aftermarket reproduction" so there could be differences. I figured atleast the tolerances would be the same since Mancini was stocking it.

One thing I have found out is that this casting is being offered in all the major parts stores and web pages by whatever manufacture "MA" is.

Did a forum search and web search yet nothing came up.
So, I thought Id ask for ideas If others had come across similar issues.
If I were you, I'd return that cover and get a good used original.

This whole timing cover fits a 360 along with 273/318/340 is all new to me. Maybe they assume you just put a thick bead of RTV in there and throw the end gaskets away? Or maybe we should feel lucky a new part is available in the first place?

why not do as suggested and just replace the rubber seal with a large bead of silicone. i mean, how many thousands of v8's are out there with a bead of silicone either end of their intake instead of the original rubber/cork seals? in fact many rebuild books tell you to do that as it's less likely to leak.
back to the timing cover i've personally used silicone there more than once when swapping timing sets, never had one leak yet. plus with the reduced gap you have it won't be much of a bead anyway.
neil.

This whole timing cover fits a 360 along with 273/318/340 is all new to me. Maybe they assume you just put a thick bead of RTV in there and throw the end gaskets away? Or maybe we should feel lucky a new part is available in the first place?
Anyone smarter than a box of rocks can make pattern off of a good or 'repaired' cover & cast an exact replica, that means they changed it on purpose, or they laser scanned it to make the pattern & something was off in the transfer.

Same cover.
I kinda figured, but I've always had the right parts for the engine & same for the kits, so the rear seal is only change to them. Hoping I don't have to shop a new cover soon apparently.....

I helped @Turbo440Dart replace a timing cover on his duster with a 360 and I believe he got a Mancini repop cover. It was a nightmare to install but using the oil pan bolts to pull it down solved the fight we had with it. You can read it in his thread here;
Dumpster diver 70 Duster build
Hopefully he’ll chime in and correct me if I’m wrong.

I helped @Turbo440Dart replace a timing cover on his duster with a 360 and I believe he got a Mancini repop cover. It was a nightmare to install but using the oil pan bolts to pull it down solved the fight we had with it. You can read it in his thread here;

Yes it was a Mancini cover and yes the fit in my opinion was horrible at best. You missed your chance to own the car that day @TT5.9mag because I was at the verge of lighting it on fire because of that timing cover.

It pushed the gasket out of the oil pan about 300 times and I couldn’t get the holes to line up to save my life.

Cool, thanks for the link.
I'm shaving material off the bottom to match my OEM Cover to test fit.

Is that area of the cover different for a Magnum, and/or that piece of the pan gasket for a Magnum?

Is that area of the cover different for a Magnum, and/or that piece of the pan gasket for a Magnum?
B7C7F07A-32DC-48B9-8EED-57A33BD02285.jpeg

9738CA99-A7C7-40B6-8838-229820F22D7C.jpeg

97AF0175-EFBA-41CF-9C08-3FDFAB5251DE.jpeg

Magnum cover (blue) next to an early LA cover.

Update: Didn't get anywhere with Mancini.
I've found OEM covers that would work on ebay as a back up, As well as a source here.

I've been measuring and test fitting my OEM cover and the NEW one. All the bolt holes line up, the crankshaft seems center in both openings visually. The only issue is the extra material on the bottom that will be the major issue cramming the rubber seal in there.

I decided to Grind away the interferences and match it up to my OEM cover. I'm very close and going to do test fitting again.

If it doesn't work I'll get a used OEM unit that.

Here's the process pictures.

20240509_122606.jpg

20240509_192605.jpg

20240509_205206.jpg

20240510_123148.jpg

20240510_122750.jpg

20240510_123310.jpg

20240510_123346.jpg

continued...
next concern is making sure the oil seal can press in.
Read one comment that someone with this aftermarket intake ruined a few because the diameter was too small.
the seat diameters on both seem to be close so ill take my time pressing it in if possible.

20240510_134709.jpg

20240510_134648.jpg

20240510_133949.jpg

20240510_133741.jpg

20240510_134503.jpg

20240510_134531.jpg

-
Back