New Mopar Addict

-
Awesome suggestions! I am hoping the heads on my 66 will have the later angle and I can use the heads on the 65 rebuilt block? I was watching Uncle Tony's Garage and he shows how to port the heads with a Harbor Freight grinder! Not sure if that's what you mean by done right? Likely I will need new valve seats, so I may just send the heads out for re-work. My first dive into engines. Was gonna pressure test the old engine before pulling the heads. If the pressure test looks bad, then engine will come out and I will build that 1965 that's on the stand. So, I should change that new timing chain for a double roller; will have to learn what that means. Thank you for cam suggestions. There's a brand new cam on craigslist but I wasn't real clear on the numbers I'm looking for:.425/.425 duration at 0.05 is 206/206. That's gibberesh to me. 80$ in the box new?

Last edited:
Keep it simple. Work with the factory stuff especially when the numbers are gibberish.

Get a Factory Service Manual. It covers a lot of rebuilding. Some years are free downloads at mymopar.com
IIRC there is a 65 or 66 there.
Print copy is nice too - keep an eye out for them.

A compression test is useful if you can turn the engine over with a starter.
A leakdown test is a bit more useful.
Look for a copy of Taylor and Hofer on rebuilding small block mopars. Because its out of print and some sellers think its worth $100 but eventually find someone selling a copy at used paperback prices.

Avoid youtubers. Its mostly entertainment. At this stage there's little for you to judge if they are actually providing good advice.

Welcome….great looking project!

DCA4DD21-07C7-41D7-96C6-0E74A6218207.jpeg

Wow! What an awesome score! For a buck? That is just crazy, and you should be VERY thankful. Your Cuda is a dead ringer for the 66 I had back in 68-69. 2bbl 273, 4 Spd which I converted to a Commando 273. Found a screamin deal on a commando, carb to pan and cooling fan to 4Spd tailshaft (complete). Man I had a blast with that old Mopar. Yours looks like the twin to mine. Good luch and have fun. You will find a ton of help here.

-
Back