New project 1965 dodge dart Pics

-

Slantsix64

Reaction score
Originally 170 slant six three speed column shift i am going to drop in a small block and change it to a three speed on the floor with a hurst shifter my buddy and they guy who sold me the car was telling me that i don't need to change the cross member or frame to drop a small block in the dart that i have the option on this model is that true? i took some pics of the bay i did noticed it looked a little different View attachment 20150321_130049.jpg

View attachment 20150319_145337.jpg

View attachment 20150319_145355.jpg

View attachment 20150319_145325.jpg

I'm not sure about the K member on these early A's, although I believe /6 and SB are different. However I do know that bellhousing won't bolt up to your SB, it's /6 specific. You need to find a SB bell.

I'm not sure about the K member on these early A's, although I believe /6 and SB are different. However I do know that bellhousing won't bolt up to your SB, it's /6 specific. You need to find a SB bell.
yeah when they told me it was doubting it okay ya sb bellhousing how about the fly wheel would i need a different one?

Early-a's had 1 k-frame...same for 6 & 8 models 63-66, just need the proper engine mounts :glasses7:

yeah when they told me it was doubting it okay ya sb bellhousing how about the fly wheel would i need a different one?

Yes , again the flywheel you need to get would need to be picked out on what small block V8 you use.

sweet !!! another question would the motor i swap in have to be from a original manual trans or can it be a automatic trans or would i have to add a bushing if it was from a automatic

sweet !!! another question would the motor i swap in have to be from a original manual trans or can it be a automatic trans or would i have to add a bushing if it was from a automatic

An engine from a manual trans would be good because the crank hub will also be drilled to fit the input shaft, however you can use an engine with an automatic. I did so in my '69 W100, I had to use a bearing in the crank hub and I had to cut the input shaft down 5/8".

The roller bearing part # is Federal Mogul FC-69907

Need different bell housing, flywheel, motor mount with mounting blocks, V8 center link and drivers side exhaust manifold(can use just about anything on the passenger side). I think that should do it. Dennis

Need different bell housing, flywheel, motor mount with mounting blocks, V8 center link and drivers side exhaust manifold(can use just about anything on the passenger side). I think that should do it. Dennis
okay got it thanks! another question is it possible to convert the 3 speed manual column shift to a hurst floor shift?

okay got it thanks! another question is it possible to convert the 3 speed manual column shift to a hurst floor shift?

Its possible to do ANYTHING! Just need to get the right parts. And install them. :color::color:

for the floor shift, you will need the proper shift rods for that shifter. same would be if using the mopar factory shifter. realize the shifter will mount to the side of the tranny, the tranny will have to have the mounting pad on there for the shifter mounting bracket. keep all that in mind.

your car is a col shift 3 on the tree, I missed in earlier description if you have the bell, tranny, flywheel, Z bar, etc????? you have the pedals, the rod to a bar? Brewers in Oh is a one stop place for all things 4 speed and rears, good folks with a wealth of correct knowledge.

for the floor shift, you will need the proper shift rods for that shifter. same would be if using the mopar factory shifter. realize the shifter will mount to the side of the tranny, the tranny will have to have the mounting pad on there for the shifter mounting bracket. keep all that in mind.

your car is a col shift 3 on the tree, I missed in earlier description if you have the bell, tranny, flywheel, Z bar, etc????? you have the pedals, the rod to a bar? Brewers in Oh is a one stop place for all things 4 speed and rears, good folks with a wealth of correct knowledge.
I was thinkg the same thing, you were just more eliquent! :cheers:

And a V-8 pedal and throttle cable, Radiator, z-bar(if you go to a 10 1/2" later flywheel and bellhousing, and the early a only floor shifter hump.

and like everyone would suggest, this swap is WAY easier if you have a complete donor car or someone with all or most of the parts required. the list of thing s to change can get long, but it has been done many times by lots of us.

I will eventually change my slant 62 TOAD over from col to floor shift. I miss shifting some gears , even if a 170 and a 3 speed!!!! I really miss banging gears in a big block 4 speed car!!!! Ah., memories!!

Totally , donor cars are tops if at all poss. lots of little & not so little things are different,all leading
to varying degrees of stops & starts in your project. As demonstrated by the helpful posts above,
just when you thought you had everything covered......:banghead:
And the advice&service/upgraded parts from quality suppliers like those above will make your
life even easier! I've converted 2 cars to 4spds from autos, 1 a /6 a-body to SB, & 1 an M-body
to 383. Both the hard way, picking up bits here,pieces there.I guess there is fun in the quest,but
it can be time consuming,good luck w/all !! Oh , I'm SW PA & looking for a couple 170's every-
one I see pulling /selling them is too far to make it worth the trip, so..... may post in wanted's
soon, cheers!

Originally 170 slant six three speed column shift i am going to drop in a small block and change it to a three speed on the floor with a hurst shifter my buddy and they guy who sold me the car was telling me that i don't need to change the cross member or frame to drop a small block in the dart that i have the option on this model is that true? i took some pics of the bay i did noticed it looked a little different View attachment 1714802222

View attachment 1714802223

View attachment 1714802224

View attachment 1714802225

finally got some time to post some pictures Still got some work left need to find some good floors just put in the hump and sealed it to drive the car around.Very Fun To drive!! View attachment 20151103_120236.jpg

View attachment 20151103_120005.jpg

View attachment 20151103_120211.jpg

View attachment 20151103_120118.jpg

Looking good, what exhaust manifold did you use on the drivers side? Is that a 273 manifold..

-
Back