new proportioning valve leaking

-

rich006

Learning as I go
Reaction score
I'm swapping to disc brakes. I installed my new proportioning valve [Edit: I thought it was made by Inline Tube but it wasn't--the picture is from their ad and my valve looks the same but doesn't have the INL marking], connected all the lines, went to bleed the system and found fluid leaking out from the base of the hexagonal piece on top where the front brake line comes in from the master cylinder (see picture). Has anyone else had this problem? I tried tightening the hex part, but it seems pretty tight already.
proportioningValve.jpg

Last edited:
I'm swapping to disc brakes. I installed my new Inline Tube proportioning valve, connected all the lines, went to bleed the system and found fluid leaking out from the base of the hexagonal piece on top where the front brake line comes in from the master cylinder (see picture). Has anyone else had this problem? I tried tightening the hex part, but it seems pretty tight already.
proportioningValve.jpg

I have seen this issue posted previously about the inline tube piece. Find another copper washer and try again. There must be an issue with the washer they are using.

I'm swapping to disc brakes. I installed my new Inline Tube proportioning valve, connected all the lines, went to bleed the system and found fluid leaking out from the base of the hexagonal piece on top where the front brake line comes in from the master cylinder (see picture). Has anyone else had this problem? I tried tightening the hex part, but it seems pretty tight already.
proportioningValve.jpg

Same thing happened with mine a few years ago. I found another crush washer and had to file it to size. Then my brake light stayed on all the time. An internet search revealed that it's a common problem. I guess Inline tube doesn't care that they sell a defective part.

I just spoke to Chuck at Inline Tube [Edit: as stated above, I was mistaken when I thought Inline Tube was the manufacturer]. He says it happens "2 or 3 times a year" and they would send me a new one...if I had bought it from them or one of their authorized vendors. (Unfortunately I bought it on eBay from Dr. Diff who apparently is not one of the authorized vendors.) Chuck also said replacing the crush washer is an option but as OKDart suggests, it's hard to find the right size washer. I'll see if Dr. Diff can help me out.

Last edited:
Latest update: turns out I was mistaken about the manufacturer. I called Dr. Diff who told me the manufacturer is actually a company called MBM. They also occasionally have the problem of the crush washer not sealing, and it can usually be fixed by simply tightening the hex. To get enough leverage, you have to use a crescent wrench to hold the valve body while turning the hex (to get space for the crescent wrench it helps to unscrew the valve from the vehicle frame, and also to loosen the front brake input line from the top of the hex). Doing that I was able to get about 1/8 turn and it looks like the leak has stopped for now. I'll update again if that didn't fix it.

Cool! Hope you get it worked out and no fluid on fresh paint hopefully!

I had the same issue with one from Classic Industries. When I took it apart, the washer had a massive notch in it. They couldn't replace the washer, and were out of stock on the part, so they gave me my money back. I think I bought it from Year One after that. It oozed also, but after tightening everything it seems to have dried up.

It was still seeping a bit. I was able to get another 1/8 turn on it, but that's all. Unfortunately it's still seeping slowly. Fortunately, Dr. Diff shipped me a replacement minutes after I called to let him know. That's great service!

Update: after a month of driving on the replacement valve, no leaks and it's working perfectly as far as I can tell. I did crank down about one turn on the hex before installing this one.

... Then my brake light stayed on all the time. An internet search revealed that it's a common problem. I guess Inline tube doesn't care that they sell a defective part.
Before faulting the manufacturer, read the FSM procedure on centering the imbalance switch. That is the installer's job, so don't blame them.

Glad I found this thread having the same problem with mine . Been chasing this for a month , couldn't find the leak brakes weren't getting firm . I was getting seepage from the
front inlet . I tightened it up yesterday thought I had it fixed checked it this morning still seeping a little. I'll try and see if it will tighten more.

-
Back