New rear tires for D300 dually

-

Bill Crowell

Reaction score
The old tires are 8.75 X 16.5 radials.

These tires aren't too common anymore, and the selection is not the greatest.

Wally World has two of them, though: A Power-King bias ply tire for only $93, and a Firestone radial for $137, almost a $50 difference.

Do you think it would be OK, or a bad idea, to mix the radial and bias ply tires on the rear of my dually? Do I need to pay the extra money for the Firestone radial?

Thanks, guys.

Please DON'T mix bias and radial. What does the Rack have? How hard would it be to score some 16" or 17" wheels? Don't mix the tire constructions. The way the differences were explained to me: A bias will generally handle more load, but is a 'no frills' tire. Great for a work trailer. A radial will be smoother, quieter, better ride, better wet and snow. They will haul almost as much, but make the trip there sooo much nicer.

I just bought one new tire for the present. I do need to replace the other three in the rear.

My truck is fairly clean and well-restored, for a work truck. I am running the original Budd 16.5" dually wheels, which are nicely powder coated. I don't really want to switch to non-stock wheels, but the tire selection in 16.5"-diameter sucks.

Could be worse lol, could have to get them from coker tire. The firestones are readily available, i wouldnt bother running any bias tire

$137 for a 10 ply firestone in a uncommon size is not horrible.

-
Back