New Street Demon carbs

-

barracudadave67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience, or have any knowledge of the new "Street Demon" carbs since the Holley take over of the brand, ??.
I am thinking of going with a 625 CFM Street Demon, on my up comming LA 360 build.
I havn't found much comment on them being used on SB mopars. The comments are for the most part very positive,to just "bolt on and go" right out of the box. They are about the same price as an Edlebrock 1406.
They look like a no nonsence very simple design.
The model #s are 1900, and 1901. Any feedback is appreciated.
Dave

I have one on the 351M in my 75 F250 and love it. I snagged it used off Ebay needin some repair and fixed it, put a kit in it and it's been great. I had an Edelbrock 1406 on it that ran really good, but I wanted to try a Street Demon. I couldn't afford a new one so I looked on Ebay for months and found one. The secondary air door spring was MISSING when I got it. A Thermoquad spring fits right in and works great. There's NO mistaking when that secondary barrel opens up. lol

Well I hope they're building them better now bought a Demon carb when they first came out biggest piece of ****..bought a Quickfuel 850 "best" carb I've ever owned..

Anyone have any experience, or have any knowledge of the new "Street Demon" carbs since the Holley take over of the brand, ??.
I am thinking of going with a 625 CFM Street Demon, on my up comming LA 360 build.
I havn't found much comment on them being used on SB mopars. The comments are for the most part very positive,to just "bolt on and go" right out of the box. They are about the same price as an Edlebrock 1406.
They look like a no nonsence very simple design.
The model #s are 1900, and 1901. Any feedback is appreciated.
Dave

every post i've seen about them the owners are very happy with them.. rebuild a cheap thermoquad.

I've heard a majority of good things about the Street Demon in my recent research. Nothing is ever perfect and there are a lot of ham handed users out there there so the very few neutral or slightly negative reviews I found was a big plus for it. That said, I ended up buying a 650 AVS2 which I just got running this weekend. The car idles and runs significantly better than with the Holley it replaces. I'm pretty sure the SD would have given the same results and it was pretty much a toss up. I think the Edelbrock tuning kit is a little less expensive and the SD can be picky about the height of the air cleaner base were a couple of points that may have swayed my decision.

Well I hope they're building them better now bought a Demon carb when they first came out biggest piece of ****..bought a Quickfuel 850 "best" carb I've ever owned..

We're not talking about those. We're talkin about the new little three barrel. They're excellent street carburetors.

I swapped out a thermoquad on my mildly built 360 in a truck for a street avenger … just didn't like it, felt a lot slower...swapped out for a 750 street demon and its much better, acts like a well tuned TQ. the choke works perfect and all I really did was adjust the secondary air door to correct a little tip in bog. works very well I would suggest the 750 over the 650 for a 360

I swapped out a thermoquad on my mildly built 360 in a truck for a street avenger … just didn't like it, felt a lot slower...swapped out for a 750 street demon and its much better, acts like a well tuned TQ. the choke works perfect and all I really did was adjust the secondary air door to correct a little tip in bog. works very well I would suggest the 750 over the 650 for a 360

Get the composite body version, and the tuning kit. While you may luck out and it'll be a bolt-on and go carb needing only idle mixture and secondary air door adjustment, just expect to have to tune it a little. Only issues I've seen is on the 750 I was using is the ford kickdown linkage somehow was causing the throttle to hang up occasionally, I cut it off problem solved. And on both my sons 625 and my 750 the choke flap would sometimes get stuck when closed, hyper extending in the tower. A small washer under the air cleaner stud nut was all that was needed. The washer hangs out just enough to act as a stop for the choke flap when it closed

Thanks for all the replies. Will go with a Street Demon when the time comes. Might have to figure out if i should go with 625 CFM, or 750 CFM.
Dave

I ran one of the composite 625 street demons on my old truck for years, got one of the first ones that came out, excellent set and forget carbs, it is still working fine, I sold the truck to my neighbor and it has not gave him any issues.
I am actually thinking of buying another one to put on my Duster to replace the 700 double pumper that is on it, there is nothing wrong with the double pumper, but that street demon has a choke.

I've had a 750 SD for a while, I love it but my only complaint is you have to remove and disassemble the carb to change out the jets. Metering rods are easy though. Also the e-clips that hold the linkages together are kind of annoying. But once you get it tuned right you'll never have to mess with it again.

I am looking at a 625 street demon for my next economy/performance type build. I know they are a spread bore, but the footprint seems fairly compact. Do you need a manifold with a spread bore flange or will they fit a standard flange manifold without an adapter? Rusty?

I am looking at a 625 street demon for my next economy/performance type build. I know they are a spread bore, but the footprint seems fairly compact. Do you need a manifold with a spread bore flange or will they fit a standard flange manifold without an adapter? Rusty?
They will fit a standard square bore manifold, they come with a thin plate to seal off.

One thing to consider is a drop base air cleaner will not work on the street demon.
I ended up using a stock air cleaner on my duster. It clears the carb body fine.

Another thing I just went thru, the throttle arm that costs extra, took me 4 times ordering to get one that actually had the arm in the package.
They kept sending me a package with two nuts and a washer.
From different vendors.

Also Mancinis adjustable throttle bracket works slick in this application, and it comes with a throttle rod.

-
Back