new to site question about pulleys

-

340dart.812

Reaction score
Hello I am new to abodies only. I am building a 70 dart w/ a 360. I have a question about pulleys I ordered a polished alum water pump pulley off ebay and it is larger than my stock one (78 360) and it hits my crank pulley(a 4 groove). Im not sure what to do with it wouldnt since its larger slow down the water pump but it would be easier for the engine to turn so in order to make it work and to speed it up I would need to get a smaller crank pulley wouldnt that be harder to turn and the end result be less power and a slower water pump? or maybe around the same power with a slower water pump(does it matter if the waterpump is a little slower?) I only bought the water pump pulley and they do sell the crank pulley and it has to be smaller to work with it maybe someone can help /correct me or direct me what to do If possible I would like to keep the pulley I just bought even though it was only 45 dollars as I am almost finished with the dart I was just trying to sweeten it up a bit and created another small problem. thanks in advance
Dillon

Hello I am new to abodies only. I am building a 70 dart w/ a 360. I have a question about pulleys I ordered a polished alum water pump pulley off ebay and it is larger than my stock one (78 360) and it hits my crank pulley(a 4 groove). Im not sure what to do with it wouldnt since its larger slow down the water pump but it would be easier for the engine to turn so in order to make it work and to speed it up I would need to get a smaller crank pulley wouldnt that be harder to turn and the end result be less power and a slower water pump? or maybe around the same power with a slower water pump(does it matter if the waterpump is a little slower?) I only bought the water pump pulley and they do sell the crank pulley and it has to be smaller to work with it maybe someone can help /correct me or direct me what to do If possible I would like to keep the pulley I just bought even though it was only 45 dollars as I am almost finished with the dart I was just trying to sweeten it up a bit and created another small problem. thanks in advance
Dillon

Welcome to FABO. I ran to same problems when I started changing things. I found what worked for me was to get a whole set that was sold together for my engine. Seems every time I try to alter one thing it snow balls and have change all kinds of things. Good luck and again welcome. someone will chime in that may be more help than me.

Welcome to FABO. I ran to same problems when I started changing things. I found what worked for me was to get a whole set that was sold together for my engine. Seems every time I try to alter one thing it snow balls and have change all kinds of things. Good luck and again welcome. someone will chime in that may be more help than me.
AMEN TO THAT BROTHER, JUST WENT THRU THAT CRAP ON MY 440 DART, WENT THRU ABOUT 40 PULLEY'S I HAD SITTING AROUND AFTER BUYING FANCY ALUM CRANK PULLEY AND A WATER PUMP ONE, AND THEY ARE ALL FIXING TO BE FOR SALE.........BETTER TO BUY IN MATCHED SETS,WILL SAVE YOU ALOT OF AGRAVATION AND FABRICATION AND FRUSTRATION !!!

Welcome , and just give us time and and post your need in the help threads.
Take a look around and enjoy. Pictures are very cool

I'm thinking that the early model LA engines 273, 318, 340 had a smaller crank pully back then. I ran into the same problem about 10 yrs ago when I was racing a dirt track car. Turning 7500 rpm I needed to slow the water down. I'm not really shure about a 4 groove pully from that eara the one used was a one groove. I may have one that might work for you in the barn. I will check it out tomorrow.

340dart.812 Welcome to the site. Like others here have said, better to buy the pulleys in matched sets. Enjoy the site.

340Dart812. I found a couple of pulleys, they are machined aluminum. One of them is a 2 groove 5" in diameter & 2"5/16 deep The grooves are about 1"1/4 & 2" from the back of the pulley to the center of the groove. It bolts up using a 1/2" longer balancer bolt. Its 1/2" thick at the bottom. The other is a 1 groove 4" in diameter & 1"11/16 deep also has a 1/2" spacer to make it 2"1/16 The groove is about 1"3/4 from the back of the pulley to the center of the groove. It bolts up with allen head bolts. They will definitely clear your water pump pulley, but also turn everything slower Let me know.:rolleyes:

09-04-09_1624.jpg

09-04-09_1625.jpg

09-04-09_1626.jpg

09-04-09_1630.jpg

09-04-09_1628.jpg

09-04-09_1629.jpg

09-04-09_1627.jpg

09-04-09_1632.jpg

is the 5in the 2 groove thats the one I would need I think I will measure can you just show pics of the two groove it looks like the 4in was the 2 groove and how does it bolt up does it use the one center crank/balancer bolt and not the six small bolts?

-
Back