Newbie to adjusting TV rod, please help

-

TylerW

Reaction score
Hey guys:

I have an A904 behind a 318 2bbl that is doing something weird, and I think it has something to do with the TV rod adjustment.

I bought this car not long ago and the seller said it tended to slip going into second.

Well, what happens is, it slips occasionally going into second, but it will also slip in low if you gas it too hard.

Here's the thing: This slipping is actually CHATTERING, bad enough to rattle your teeth out, so to me it acted like it wasn't worn out, but rather had low line pressure.The fluid looked fine and the pan was good, nothing but just some residue on the magnet.It goes in gear firmly, shifts good through the gears if maybe a little early.

Ok, on to my actual question:

This has the normal arrangement of a stud on the carb arm and the spring-loaded throttle rod fitting over it with the slide arrangement.

I noticed at closed throttle, there is maybe 3/4-1 inch of freeplay in the throttle rod before there is resistance.

Going to the valvebody, that was confirmed.At closed throttle, with the throttle rod pulled forward against the stud, there is a significant gap between the end of the throttle valve and the actuating arm.

I know that GM and Ford trans with a throttle valve cable have to have immediate movement of the cable during throttle opening to maintain line pressure and keep from burning the trans up.Is this the same way with the torqueflite?

If so, whats the correct procedure to adjust it?

Thanks for the help!

It does have to be adjusted right or it will burn up the trans. so your correct there. The way I do it is with the engine off hold the throttle wide open and adjust the TV linkage so it is fully depressed. Test drive it and it should be ok but a few will hold the gears too long so you may need to back it off a little. The TV pressure does affect pressure and if not adjusted correctly will allow it to slip while shifting gears but it doesn't affect pressure enough to cause it to slip in low when you nail it like you described and would never let it chatter. If it's actually clutch chattering I'd almost bet the rear clutch pack is worn. I know you said the fluid looked clean but could someone have changed it recently?

Also called shuttering I think? I had a ford metric tranny do exactly what your describing & 100 miles later it was gone.

-
Back