Next build motor????

-

DesertRat

Leading edge boomer
Reaction score
I am planning my next build. I saw yesterday that the 88-92 318 motors have roller cams. I am thinking that would be a good place for me to start with the motor for the next build but I have questions. What do I ask for when shopping for one, are they fuel injected and it they are can they be changed to carbureted? I would want a manual transmission so I would need one with a flywheel so I did not have to aftermarket that part.
Any guidance and advice appreciated. :popcorn:

Throttle body injection, the early mid 80's had most manufacturers in a transition stage from carb to fuel injection with smog regulations tightening, 88 year was all injection, barrel intake manifolds came about, 92 year were magnums if I remember right.
The cam I would change wether it worked or not.

What would you like to do with this motor, build it or drop it in used?

They were all drilled at that point for manual input shaft at the back of the crank. You can get a flywheel , neutral balance from any other 318 and it will work, you can also use the roller input bearing instead of the bushing used in earlier motors.

Throttle body injection, the early mid 80's had most manufacturers in a transition stage from carb to fuel injection with smog regulations tightening, 88 year was all injection, barrel intake manifolds came about, 92 year were magnums if I remember right.
The cam I would change wether it worked or not.
What would you like to do with this motor, build it or drop it in used?

OK, as previously stated, my next build will be a 40 Ford pickup. The PO will include a 292 Y-block but I like the LA series Mopar small blocks a lot. I am thinking a 318 mild build, preferably with roller cam and Holley 4V carburetor. I do not want to deal with the electronics of factory FI at all! I would consider the FiTech system as it is self contained and self learning. Thinking 5 speed manual transmission with an explorer IRS included with the deal. In any case, don't need a ton of HP and it is supposed to be a budget build-(ha :lol: ha)
I learned on my Barracuda, FI or Carb, it will have a wide band O2 sensor for tuning. The LA small block with a roller cam would be the perfect (if not period correct) motor for my conception of the finished truck. That is what I am up to.
Cheers to all-----------my build thread update photos tonight or tomorrow-------------:usflag:

any 318 after 85 will have the boss' for roller cam spider plate. some car motors got rollers as early as 85 but more common after 88. factory roller motors were painted black and non roller painted blue. when i got my 85 van i thought it had a roller motor but the rebuilder painted it black when rebuilt. i can see blue under the chips in the black. but i could just get a roller set up and change it over.

Then its pretty basic and should be a real easy deal to put together. You can have the cam re ground and use an adaptor for the cam snout to run a fuel pump eccentric or just use an electric fuel pump, cheapo one would be plenty.
As for the y block, some good ideas were in that motor...mains above the rail like ab rb motor...and some not so very good,like the heads.lol

Then its pretty basic and should be a real easy deal to put together. You can have the cam re ground and use an adaptor for the cam snout to run a fuel pump eccentric or just use an electric fuel pump, cheapo one would be plenty.
As for the y block, some good ideas were in that motor...mains above the rail like ab rb motor...and some not so very good,like the heads.lol
The Y block is out, too long.

Here are some photos of a factory roller cam 318 out of a 85 Dodge Diplomat. Date on the block is 84. It was a 2 bbl LA engine.

88truck_2.jpg

88truck_3.jpg

88truck_4.jpg

Copy of 88truck_1.jpg

The Y block is out, too long.
Not to mention it weighs 100-200 lbs more than the LA; good move! The 272-292-312 series was the old thick block casting.

Since it is a '40, sorry, you HAVE to do a flathead Ford, and reverse the intake and exhaust ports in and out of the block like the hot setup back in the day....LOL

Not to mention it weighs 100-200 lbs more than the LA; good move! The 272-292-312 series was the old thick block casting.

Since it is a '40, sorry, you HAVE to do a flathead Ford, and reverse the intake and exhaust ports in and out of the block like the hot setup back in the day....LOL
Thanks the world does not need another LS or flathead powered 40 ford. A mopar powered 40 ford will be an enigma, only the mopar guys will know what it is. Not that I care. I like the LA motors!

-
Back