NGK or Champion plugs and best wires for a mild 318 auto?

-

318MoparGuy

MoparHokie
Reaction score
Hi Guys and Gals,
Finally getting close to doing a tune-up on my 318 with a performer dual plane eddy intake, mild hydraulic cam and eddy 1406 4bbl...just a cruiser, no track trips. I see people liking NGK's for their 340's and 360's, but no posts for NGK plugs for 318's. What plugs and plug #'s (heat range) does everyone like for their 318's? Hearing people putting Autolites in their Mopars...kinda strange as I never heard those going into Mopars when I started driving (1970). Thanks in advance for everyone's thoughts and always want the best for my girl...:thumblef:
Thanks,
Greg

I run the NGK V power plugs with HEI and they run really well.
NGK's have always been my favorite plug due to their quality and performance, but unfortunatly I don't remember off the top what heat range they are.

8mm silicone wires from Accel are really nice and potect from spark jump out a little better than the factory size.

I Too am a fan of the NGK V power plugs. Any Quality plug wires will work.

Do not by the Cheap ones! You will be re replacing the wire set one at a time and the wire resistance goes though the roof and wont allow the spark plug to fire. Every time my car would start poping at the top end. I would have go get my volt ohm meter out and find the wire with excessive resistance, and replace it. Bought a set of Taylor wires and never look back.

My favorite is Taylor cables
http://www.taylorvertex.com/spark-plugs/full-metal-jacket-wire-sets/

Been on my Cuda for 20 years and on my power wagon for 15+ years. My next set will be the same.

Sorry can't give advice on heat range. I would go with the stock plug for a 318 in a NGK

NGKs in my mild 318 with the mag heads in the 5 Range..

I Too am a fan of the NGK V power plugs. Any Quality plug wires will work.

Do not by the Cheap ones! You will be re replacing the wire set one at a time and the wire resistance goes though the roof and wont allow the spark plug to fire. Every time my car would start poping at the top end. I would have go get my volt ohm meter out and find the wire with excessive resistance, and replace it. Bought a set of Taylor wires and never look back.

My favorite is Taylor cables
http://www.taylorvertex.com/spark-plugs/full-metal-jacket-wire-sets/

Been on my Cuda for 20 years and on my power wagon for 15+ years. My next set will be the same.

Sorry can't give advice on heat range. I would go with the stock plug for a 318 in a NGK

WOW! it has been a long time sense i bought a set of wire. They were only $59 when i bought them. probably a little excessive for a mild build 318.

I prefer Champions over Autolites. I chased a bad running engine for months just to find the Autolites were too cold for my newly built engine. If you don't have headers, any good parts store brand of wires will work well and last for years. tmm

I like NGK plugs..... and I have a set of NAPA 100% silicone wires on my swap meet van, and like them very well. These are called NAPA " the Edge" blue wires, and are lifetime warranty, as long as they are not burned by the exhaust manifolds! For my cost of 35.00 I don't think you can go wrong for your application. Good luck!

I used to run Champions in my 318 Charger back in the late 80's early 90's and they wouldn't last 10,000 miles, the electrode would be rounded over. That is what made me change to Autolites. Fast forward to today I run NGK's in everything but my truck and it will get them next time around.

I would recommend a spiral core wire because they have about 1/3 of resistance of carbon wires, almost all my cars have Accel Super Stock spiral core and they are $52 from Summit.

I meant to add in previous post...I know people like the V Power NGK's, but has anyone used the G Power (Platinum) NGK's...any merit to using them or is that overkill for the mild 318? Thanks again...Greg

We have been playing with them at the track and the cheapest plug you can buy works as good as the most expensive. Im running ngk in my 360, I had autolite in my 318 and it worked fine.

If there is enough clearance in the chamber for the longer electrodes, I highly suggest ZFR5N 3459 NGK's. They cleaned up my idle bigtime and I gained a little in the throttle response and fuel economy department.

Now of course this was in a slant where the factory spec plug electrode sits close to an area of poor combustion, V8 experiences may vary.

And btw, get a nice hot coil (~40,000 volts) and some 8.5mm wires.

Hearing people putting Autolites in their Mopars...kinda strange as I never heard those going into Mopars when I started driving (1970).

Could be because Autolite was part of Ford until 1973. Ford had been involved in anti-trust litigation over Autolite since the early 60s. The sale of Autolite to Bendix Corp (owner of Fram at the time) solved that. Since then the Autolite brand has followed Fram through a succession owners. Ford rolled out Motorcraft to handle aftermarket parts sales.

While Ford had Autolite/Motorcraft, GM had AC Delco, Mopar and AMC never had captive spark plug manufacturers. Never recall seeing a Mopar brand spark plug back in the day, all Mopars came with Champions. Back in the day when Mopar and Ford were slugging it out in NASCAR, both Autolite and Champion offered contingency awards as part of the total payout. Funny thing, IIRC, you didn't have to actually use the plug, you just had to have the decal on the car.

-
Back