Nikkis 66 dart 270 daily driver.

-

JR

Pissed off senior member.
Reaction score
We are bringing "Sally" (Nikki named her after a character in the movie Nightmare Before Christmas because they are about the same color.) home tomorrow and I am going to do some upgrades before I let Nikki drive her so I figured that I will start a thread in the "Early A" section.

Here is what I have in mind so far...
Car is a 66 Dart 270 with a 225/904/7 1/4

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=65966

-Adjust the valves.

-New plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and distributer for a 73 and up Dart

-2bbl conversion (I have all the parts collecting dust on the shelf already)

-Maybe a new oil pump. The sending unit looked new so I will check the pump when I hook up a mechanical gauge. (I got the last 3 oil pumps nation wide when Pep Boys had them on closeout for $3.19 each)

-(You guys will hate me for this) 96-02 GM Coil/HEI/heatsink set up for the ignition. http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15779

I have been doing the HEI swaps in mopars for years (the first one was based off of Goldduster318's website a long time ago) and they are 1000% better than anything Mopar ever put out. Face it Ma Mopar could make some kick *** motors but when it came to electronics 3 retarded monkeys and a blind wombat could do a better job!

-GM one wire alternator and the madelectrical bypass. Done it before and it worked better than any mopar alternator ever could.

-14" wheels (Thanks again Redscampi)

-New shocks.

-New silverstar headlights (I have them in my 73 and they work great!)

-New fuses and bulbs all around weather they need it or not.

-Brake parts where they are needed.

-Oil/filter motor and tranny changed along with new fluid in the rearend.

-New T-stat.

-Hoses and belts where they are needed.

-Ministarter

What else can you guys think of?

You can expect a lot of pics on this one as soon as she comes home tomorrow.

Welcome to the early A,s!I would flush the anti-freeze out,who knows how old it is?Old anti-freeze eats frost plugs from the inside out.(ask me how I know).Also a couple new u-joints wouldn,t hurt?They,re cheap and an easy fix.Piece of mind!I was checking out your pics the other night,cool car for the money!

Your schedule moved up! I can bring those rims tomorrow (6/23) if you want. I'd do it today but they're out in the dark and I'm scared. :/

If Nikki can't get off work early we will be doing it tomorrow (Tues) I will let you know tonight.

We went and got her today (No title yet because the guy we got her from had just transfered it into his name and he hasn't gotten the title back yet so we have to wait to drive her any further than around the block) on the way home (12 miles) the temp gauge pegged out, no power, pinging real bad. I got her home took the radiator cap off (thank god for the red relief valved caps) and nasty brown and green crap spewed out. I pulled the valve cover and adjusted the valves, threw in new plugs and wires, reset the timing to 8* advanced, put some water in the radiator (I will flush it out this weekend) and she starts right up, you don't even have to give her any gas. She purrs like a kitten and runs smoother than my 73 with less miles! All I have to do is adjust the rear brakes and as soon as we get the title she is ready to be a daily driver. Not bad for a $600 car that has been sitting for 4 years.

Nikki is very excited and loves her Dart! :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Way cool!!Need more pics!!

P.S when I swapped my title from Alabama USA to Ontario Canada,they handed it to me.No wait?

Washington state is one of the worst states for auto titles, no joke!

I would post pics but the battery in my camera died. I will get a new one tomorrow.

Very cool JR! 8)

Sounds like you guys found her a really sweet deal. I have the GM HEI on the 65 B'cuda too. Just don't tell anyboy elso OK? Don't mention the Ford starter relay either. Lol.

Letsee what would I check?
Brakes, belts, valves, tires, battery, alternator, fuel pump, fuel filter, plugs and wires.
Do all the guages work? Can you trust the gas guage? Plugs and wires.
Pack the wheel bearings and adjust the drag?
New filter and fluid in the tranny?
Any slack in the steering you can adjust out?
Alignment?

I would make it MY daily for just a few days if she can be patient just to get a "feel" for it. Once you put some miles on it and get to know her you might find some other stuff.

Hope I helped. Good luck with it and congrats. I can't wait to see the pics, I have a soft spot for the early "A"s.

Hey JR, I think i have decided to part out the 72 Valiant. If you want anything let me know.

What do you want for the motor and tranny, how many miles are on it, and does it run? I could use an extra slant and tranny for a back up.

Looks good JR! Seems you have all the bases covered.

How about installing shoulder belts? After all it is a daily driver for the "best bacon grilled cheese @ 4am chef on the plant"

Aloha!

I like Sally :-D, Congrat's to you and Nikki :cheers:good job again J.R.
Happy to see a early A in your drive way :-D

What do you want for the motor and tranny, how many miles are on it, and does it run? I could use an extra slant and tranny for a back up.

Yes it runs and drives. Come hear it! The rotten muffler really makes it. :) I really haven't given a lot of thought to how much but I'll make you a good deal if you want it.

Thanks, I just got back from a trip around the block for no real good reason. She hasn't been started since yesterday and I wanted to see how she was on total cold starts. Key in, no gas, turn the key, 1 1/2 cranks, fired right up, warmed up, idled down, no low miss at stoplights or anything...I am jealous,this car runs better and smoother than my 73! It's time for a full tune up on the 73 :angry7:

As for the HEI and chevy alt swap, if it ain't broke don't F with it no matter how much of a car guy you are. Some things you just leave alone no matter how bad you want to tinker with it!

The F'ing this does burnouts! My 73 wont even do a burnout!!!!

I replaced the headlights with silver stars, put in a mini starter, replaced the ground strap from the block to the firewall, getting a new neg. battery cable this afternoon. I have a set of air shocks that will be going in the rear and I think I may give the set of Comp 3 way adjustable drag shocks that Ross has collecting dust a shot and see how stiff they are in a daily driver.
I jacked the *** end up and there is no tag on the 7 1/4 so I have no clue what gears are in it but the cover has been replaced at one time and there is no noise or slop in the rear end.

Should be a 2.93 for gearing. My stock 67 225 can do a burn out(2.93) but my 70 could not(2.73) That little gear change makes all the diff.! Something you wouldnt even notice on a V8 car! I would not want any other gear for an auto slant in an a body! Perfect for a daily driver(FUN on the highway!)

Hell I want 2.40 if I could find them! Killer gas mileage and with a slant you could cruise at about 120mph! :-D

Had a '71 dart 318 with the 2.40s in it.
I made it from San Diego to Vegas in just under 4 hrs on an emergency run.....
I didn't see the speedo needle for most of the trip.

I know! The battery in my camera died the other day when I went out to take some pics of her and I have been to lazy to get a new one. I will get one today and post some pics tonight. I have to get a new battery anyways because we are going to the Billet proof show tomorrow so there will be a ton of new car **** by the end of this weekend!

So due to this happening... http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=66577 ...I am going to pull the motor and see if I can't knock the shaft out of the block and if I can't I will pick up the motor that Redscampi has in the 72 4 door, clean it, paint it, detail the brackets and other junk and drop it in the 66. No big deal, I love these cars because it only took 40 mins to get the motor ready to pull out and that is with one hell of a hangover and 4 hrs sleep! All that is left is one motor mount and a bolt in the bell housing and the motor will come right out. The antifreeze is drained, the exhaust is unbolted from the manifold, power steering pump is unbolted from the brackets and is still full, I even got the 4 converter bolts out without crawling under the car (starter hole)! Tomorrow the motor will come out and we will clean things up and see if the motor can be saved!

Pis are on their way, photobucket has been being an asshole to me the last few days.

Hope you can save the original motor. A new oil pump is never a bad idea. Maybe a complete reseal and timing chain too?

-
Back